福尔摩斯探案集·四签名 第2期:演绎法的研究(2)
教程:福尔摩斯探案全集  浏览:595  
  • 00:00/00:00
  • 提示:点击文章中的单词,就可以看到词义解释

    "No, indeed," I answered brusquely.

    我毫不客气地回答道:"我不要试。

    "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet.

    阿富汗的战役害得我的体质至今没有恢复。

    I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it."

    我再不能摧残它了。"

    He smiled at my vehemence. "Perhaps you are right, Watson," he said.

    他对我的恼怒,含笑答道:"华生,也许你是对的。

    "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one.

    我也知道这对于身体是有害的,

    I find it, however, so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind

    不过我感觉它既有这样强烈的兴奋和醒脑的能力,

    that its secondary action is a matter of small moment."

    它的副作用也就没有什么重要了。"

    "But consider!" I said earnestly. "Count the cost!

    我诚恳地说道:"可是你也考虑考虑利害得失吧!

    Your brain may, as you say, be roused and excited,

    你的脑筋也许象你所说的那样,能够因刺激而兴奋起来,

    but it is a pathological and morbid process which involves increased tissue-change

    然而这究竟是戕害自身的作法。它会引起不断加剧的器官组织变质,

    and may at least leave a permanent weakness.

    否则至少也会导致长期衰弱,

    You know, too, what a black reaction comes upon you.

    你也知道这种药所能引起的不良反应,

    Surely the game is hardly worth the candle.

    实在是得不偿失。

    Why should you, for a mere passing pleasure,

    你为什么只顾一时的快感,

    risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed?

    戕害你那天赋的卓越过人的精力呢?

    Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another

    你应当知道,我这不仅是从朋友的立场出发,

    but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable."

    而且还是作为一个对你的健康负责的医生而说的话。"

    He did not seem offended.

    看来,他听了不仅没有生气,

    On the contrary, he put his finger-tips together,

    反而把十指对顶在一起,

    and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair, like one who has a relish for conversation.

    把两肘安放在椅子的扶手上,象是对谈话颇感兴趣的样子。

    "My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation.

    他道:"我好动不好静

    Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram,

    给我难题,给我工作,给我最深奥的密码,

    or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere.

    这样我才觉得最舒适,给我最复杂的分析工作,

    I can dispense then with artificial stimulants.

    才不需要人为的刺激。

    But I abhor the dull routine of existence.

    我非常憎恶平淡的生活,

    I crave for mental exaltation.

    我追求精神上的兴奋,

    That is why I have chosen my own particular profession,

    因此我选择了我自己的特殊职业

    or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world."

    也可以说是我创造了这个职业,因为我是世界上唯一从事这种职业的人。"

    0/0
      上一篇:福尔摩斯探案集·四签名 第1期:演绎法的研究 下一篇:福尔摩斯探案集·四签名 第3期:演绎法的研究(3)

      本周热门

      受欢迎的教程

      下载听力课堂手机客户端
      随时随地练听力!(可离线学英语)