福尔摩斯探案集·四签名 第52期:贝克街的侦探小队(5)
教程:福尔摩斯探案全集  浏览:562  
  • 00:00/00:00
  • 提示:点击文章中的单词,就可以看到词义解释

    We pulled up at the Great Peter Street Post-Office, and Holmes dispatched his wire.

    我们在大彼得街邮电局停下,福尔摩斯发了一封电报。

    "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked as we resumed our journey.

    他上车后问我道:"你知道我给谁发电报?"

    "I am sure I don't know."

    "我不知道。"

    "You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?"

    "你还记得在杰弗逊·侯波一案里我们雇用的贝克街侦探小队吗?"

    "Well," said I, laughing. "This is just the case where they might be invaluable.

    我笑道:"就是他们呀!""在这个案子里,他们可能很有用处。

    If they fail I have other resources, but I shall try them first.

    他们若是失败了,我还有别的办法,不过我愿意先用他们试一试。

    That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant, Wiggins,

    那封电报就是发给我那个小队长维金斯的,

    and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast."

    他们这群孩子在咱们没吃完早餐前就能来到了。"

    It was between eight and nine o'clock now,

    这时正是早晨八九点钟。

    and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night.

    一夜的辛苦,使我感觉万分疲乏,

    I was limp and weary, befogged in mind and fatigued in body.

    走起路来两腿也跛了,真是精疲力竭。

    I had not the professional enthusiasm which carried my companion on,

    论起这桩案子,在侦查上我没有我的伙伴的那种忠于职业的热情,

    nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem.

    同时我也不把它仅仅看成是个抽象的理论问题。

    As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went,

    至于巴索洛谬·舒尔托的被害,

    I had heard little good of him and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers.

    因为大家对于他素日的行为并没有好气,所以我对于凶手们也没有太大的反感。

    The treasure, however, was a different matter.

    可是论到宝物,那就另当别论了。

    That, or part of it, belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan.

    这些宝物--或者宝物的一部分--按理是应属于摩斯坦小姐的。

    While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object.

    在可能有机会找回宝物的时候,我愿尽毕生之力,把它找回来。

    True, if I found it, it would probably put her forever beyond my reach.

    不错,如果宝物能够找回,我个人可能就永远不能和她接近了。

    Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that.

    可是爱情如果被这种想法所左右,这种爱情也就成为无聊和自私的了。

    If Holmes could work to find the criminals,

    如果福尔摩斯能够找到凶手,

    I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure.

    我就该加上十倍的努力去找宝物。

    A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully.

    在贝克街家中洗了一个澡,重新换了衣服,使我的精神大大地振作品来。

    When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Holmes pouring out the coffee.

    等到下楼,看见早餐早已备好,福尔摩斯正在那里斟咖啡。

    "Here it is," said he, laughing and pointing to an open newspaper.

    他笑着指着一张打开的报纸向我说道:"你看看,

    "The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them.

    这位好高务远的琼斯和一个庸俗的记者把这个案子一手包办了。

    But you have had enough of the case. Better have your ham and eggs first."

    这案子把你搞得也够烦的了,还是先吃你的火腿蛋吧。"

    I took the paper from him and read the short notice,

    我从他手里接过报纸来,

    which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood."

    上边标题写着《上诺伍德的破案》。

    0/0
      上一篇:福尔摩斯探案集·四签名 第51期:贝克街的侦探小队(4) 下一篇:福尔摩斯探案集·四签名 第53期:贝克街的侦探小队(6)

      本周热门

      受欢迎的教程

      下载听力课堂手机客户端
      随时随地练听力!(可离线学英语)