MOTHER, the folk who live up in the clouds call out to me-- |
妈妈,住在云端的人对我唤道——“我们从醒的时候游戏到白日终止。 |
"We play from the time we wake till the day ends. |
“我们与黄金色的曙光游戏,我们与银白色的月亮游戏。” |
We play with the golden dawn, we play with the silver moon. |
我问道:“但是,我怎么能够上你那里去呢?” |
I ask, "But, how am I to get up to you?" They answer, "Come to the edge of the earth, lift up your hands to the sky, and you will be taken up into the clouds." |
他们答道:“你到地球的边上来,举手向天,就可以被接到云端里来了。” |
"My mother is waiting for me at home," I say. "How can I leave her and come?" |
“我妈妈在家里等我呢,”我说,“我怎么能离开她而来呢?” |
Then they smile and float away. |
于是他们微笑着浮游而去。 |
But I know a nicer game than that, mother. |
但是我知道一件比这个更好的游戏,妈妈。 |
I shall be the cloud and you the moon. |
我做云,你做月亮。 |
I shall cover you with both my hands, and our house-top will be the blue sky. |
我用两只手遮盖你,我们的屋顶就是青碧的天空。 |
The folk who live in the waves call out to me-- |
住在波浪上的人对我唤道—— “我们从早晨唱歌到晚上;我们前进又前进地旅行,也不知我们所经过的是什么地方。” |
"We sing from morning till night; on and on we travel and know not where we pass." |
我问道:“但是,我怎么能加入你们队伍里去呢?” |
I ask, "But, how am I to join you?" They tell me, "Come to the edge of the shore and stand with your eyes tight shut, and you will be carried out upon the waves." |
他们告诉我说:“来到岸旁,站在那里,紧闭你的两眼,你就被带到波浪上来了。” |
I say, "My mother always wants me at home in the evening--how can I leave her and go?" |
我说:“傍晚的时候,我妈妈常要我在家里——我怎么能离开她而去呢!” |
Then they smile, dance and pass by. |
于是他们微笑着,跳舞着奔流过去。 |
But I know a better game than that. |
但是我知道一件比这个更好的游戏。 |
I will be the waves and you will be a strange shore. |
我是波浪,你是陌生的岸。 |
I shall roll on and on and on, and break upon your lap with laughter. |
我奔流而进,进,进,笑哈哈地撞碎在你的膝上。 |
And no one in the world will know where we both are. |
世界上就没有一个人会知道我们俩在什么地方。 |