李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话第50课
教程:李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话  浏览:3144  
  • 00:00/00:00
  • 提示:点击文章中的单词,就可以看到词义解释

    11. Don’t Beat around the Bush不要拐弯抹角

    BACKGROUND 背景

    One friend is telling another bad news.
    一个人在向他的朋友讲述坏消息。


    A: I’ve been waiting for an hour! Where have you been?
    我都等了一个小时了!你去哪了?

    B: I got stuck in traffic on the way back from Joe’s office.
    我在从乔的办公室回来的路上遇到了塞车。

    A: Okay. Tell me exactly what Joe said. Don’t beat around the bush. Give it to me straight.
    好吧。确切地告诉我乔都说了些什么。别拐弯抹角,直截了当地说出来。

    B: Hold your horses! I’ll tell you in a minute. Let me catch my breath. I just got here and I told you traffic was terrible.
    耐心地等一下!待会儿就告诉你。让我先缓口气。我刚到这儿,而且我告诉你了,交通阻塞。

    A: You can do that later. Tell me. What did Joe say?
    你待会儿再休息。告诉我,乔说了什么?

    B: Do you really want to know? Even if it’s bad news?
    你真想知道吗?连坏消息也想知道?

    A: Of course I do. Just tell me.
    当然。你就说吧。

    B: Okay. If you really want to know. He said you always try to pull the wool over his eyes. He thinks you are dishonest.
    好。如果你真想知道的话。他说你总是试图欺骗他。他觉得你不够诚实。

    A: What? That’s not true! Perhaps I exaggerate a little. But that’s all. I’ve never tried to deceive him.
    什么?那不是真的!也许我是夸张了点,仅此而已,但我从未试图要骗他的。

    B: Why don’t you do what I do?
    为什么不学学我呢?

    A: What’s that?
    什么?

    B: Take his remark with a grain of salt.
    对他的话半信半疑。

    A: That’s easy for you to say, he’s not your boss!
    你说起来容易,他又不是你的老板!

    B: Yeah, but I’ve known him for ten years. I’m telling you, his comment isn’t worth worrying about.
    对,但是我跟他交往有十年了。我告诉你,他的话不值得你担心。

    A: I hope you’re right.
    我希望你是对的。

    额外成就感

    beat around the bush: speak indirectly, evasively
    说话拐弯抹角☆☆☆☆☆
    * I wish you would say what he really means and not always beat around the bush.
    我希望你说出他的真正意思,不要总是拐弯抹角的。
    * You don’t have to beat around the bush. Just tell me what the problem is so I can fix it.
    你不必跟我兜圈子。直接说出你的问题,我好解决。

    hold one’s horses: wait patiently instead of going forward
    耐心等待☆☆☆☆☆
    * My boss told me to hold my horses about my promotion.
    我的上司告诉我要耐心等待升职的机会。
    A: Give me the money. I want to pay the bill.
    把钱给我,我要买单。
    B: Hold your horses. Let’s have another cup of tea first.
    先别急。我们再喝杯茶。

    catch one’s breath: rest for a moment 休息一会儿;缓口气☆☆☆
    * When I reached the top of the hill, I was so tired that I had to stop for a minute and catch my breath.
    当我爬到山顶时累极了,就停下来休息了一会儿。
    * I need to stop and catch my breath for a minute before I tell you the story.
    我要先停下来喘口气,再告诉你发生的一切。

    pull the wool over someone’s eyes: deceive someone
    蒙蔽;欺骗某人☆☆☆☆
    * I’m sure that she is pulling the wool over my eyes when she says she’s been in the library studying all day.
    她说她一整天都在图书馆学习,我肯定她是在骗我。
    * Don’t think you can pull the wool over my eyes. I know all your tricks.
    别蒙人了。我知道你的把戏。

    take something with a grain of salt: only half believe something someone has said 半信半疑;不全盘接受☆☆☆☆
    * Jim is a very nice guy, but I’ve learned to take everything he says with a grain of salt.
    吉姆这人不错,但是我渐渐意识到他的话只能信一半。
    * The salesgirl told me I looked nice in this dress, but I take her compliment with a grain of salt because I’m sure she works on commission.
    售货员小姐说我穿这件衣服特别好看,但是对她的奉承话我只信一半,因为我敢肯定她卖衣服是有佣金的。

    0/0
      上一篇:李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话第49课 下一篇:李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话第51课

      本周热门

      受欢迎的教程

      下载听力课堂手机客户端
      随时随地练听力!(可离线学英语)