174、appointment K.K: [ ] IPA: [ ]
n. 约会;约定;任命 ★★★★★
I have an appointment with the president this afternoon.
我今天下午与总裁有个约会。
I’d like to make an appointment with you.
我想跟你约个时间见面。
【额外成就感】
☆ He canceled the appointment with the doctor.
他取消了与医生的约会。
倒序记单词:-ment单词大奉献
agreement n. 协定,一致,同意
☆ I don’t think we will ever reach an agreement.
我想我们永远都达不成协议。
☆ This contract is not in agreement with international standards.
这份合同不符合国际标准。
management n. 管理,资方
☆ The management here encourages teamwork.
这儿的管理层鼓励团队合作。
☆ I want to go abroad to study business management.
我想出国学商业管理。
requirement n. 要求,必要条件
☆ Do you think I can meet the requirements of admission?
你认为我符合入学的条件吗?
☆ What is the age requirement for marriage in your country?
你们国家结婚的法定年龄是多少?
advertisement n. 宣传,广告
☆ Maybe we should put an advertisement in the newspaper.
也许我们应该在报纸上刊登个广告。
☆ I don’t believe all those television advertisements. They make too may false promises!
我不相信所有这些电视广告,他们许了太多虚假的承诺。
amusement n. 娱乐;消遣
☆ I don’t find any amusement in his comments.
我不认为他的话有什么好笑。
☆ I sent you that email for your amusement. It wasn’t serious.
我给你发的邮件就是让你笑一笑,不是认真的。
improvement n. 改进, 进步
☆ You need to make a few improvements to this article.
你的文章需要一些改动。
☆ Your pronunciation has made a lot of improvement since the last time we met.
上次我们见面以来,你的发音有了很大的改善。
accomplishment n. 成就,功绩
☆ I’m so proud of my son’s accomplishments!
我真为我儿子的成就感到自豪。
☆ You finished your MBA in less than a year? That’s a real accomplishment.
你一年不到就读完了MBA?那真是一大成就。
astonishment n. 惊奇
☆ The students looked at their teacher in astonishment.
学生们吃惊地看着他们的老师。
☆ To my astonishment my boyfriend remembered my mother’s birthday and bought her flowers!
令我吃惊的是,我男朋友居然记得我妈妈的生日,还给她买了花。
compliment n. 称赞, 恭维, 致意, 问候
☆ Her boss paid her a compliment and praised her work in front of the entire staff.
她老板在所有的员工面前称赞她,表扬了她。
☆ A: You look really great in that dress.
你穿那条裙子真是太棒了。
B: Thanks for the compliment.
多谢恭维。
☆ A sincere compliment can always bring a smile to my face.
真诚的赞美总能让我微笑。
argument n. 争论, 辩论, 论据, 论点
☆ Do you think you could do what I ask you to without argument just once?
你说你能不能毫无异议地照我说的做,就一次都行?
☆ We had a terrible argument about money.
我们为了钱吵得很厉害。
☆ I can’t even remember what started this argument.
我甚至都不记得是怎么吵起来的了。
Kim’s Note: “Argument” is more popular than “quarrel” in American English.
美国英语中“argument”比“quarrel”要常用。