谈谈你的第一份工作,这份工作最好的地方在于
来听今天的讲解:
A: OK, Roe, why don't we talk about your first job.
罗伊,我们问什么不谈谈你的第一份职业呢。
B: OK
好的。
A: Yeah, tell us about your first job.
跟我们谈谈你的第一份工作。
B: You mean my official full-time first job, talking about!
你是指谈谈我的第一份正式的全职工作!
A: Yeah, sure. How about that?
是的,没错。你的第一份工作怎么样?
B: OK. That was right after graduating university. I became a salesman.
好的。那时我刚从大学毕业。我成为了一名销售人员。
A: Oooh, salesman! Nice.
唔,销售!很棒。
B: Yep, salesman.
是的,一名销售。
A: What were you selling?
你销售的产品是什么?
B: I was selling nothing.
我什么都不卖。
A: Nothing
什么都不卖?
B: Nothing. Well, basically I was selling a membership. So, that's, it's not something people can see or visualize, but it's like just membership, so.
什么都不卖。实际上,我销售的是一种身份。它不是人们能够看到的实体产品,而是一种会员身份。
A: Was it like a membership to a country club?
就像乡村俱乐部的会员身份一样?
B: Yeah, actually a private resorts and golf clubs.
是的,实际上那是一家私人度假村和高尔夫俱乐部。
A: Nice. Was this in Japan or in the US?
真棒,那是在日本还是在美国?
B: In Japan.
在日本。
A: Wow. What was the best thing about your job?
哇。这份工作最好的地方在于?
B: Troubles! Cause I have to knock on people's houses.
麻烦!因为我得去挨家挨户地去敲门。
A: Oh, wow, it was door to door.
哇,挨家挨户啊。
B: Exactly without any appointments and membership costs 5 million yen. Starting, starting costs.
是的,没有任何预约的敲门访问,而且会员费要500万日元。而这只是入会费。
A: 5 million yen to start and you must have been in very rich neighborhoods.
500万日元的入会费,那你肯定要去很高档的社区了。
B: No, actually we just go to any areas. We just stop off at a station and we start from there.
不,实际上我们是什么社区都要去。随便一站下车后就开展工作了。
A: Really. Were you successful?
真的吗,那你的工作进展顺利吗?
B: It's a long story but to be honest with you, how many memberships do you think I sold in a year?
说来话长,但坦白讲,你认为我一年能够介绍多少会员入会?
A: Wow, I don't know. I will take a guess. In one year, maybe one, two a week, so my guess is, I don't know, a hundred.
哇,我不知道。我试着猜测一下。一年内也许有……一周有1,2名,所以我猜……我不知道,一百名?
B: One!
一名!
A: One! One!
一名!
B: Can you believe it!
你能相信吗!
A: So you must, so you remember the lucky person? Probably still remember that person.
那你肯定对你唯一的客户印象很深刻了?也许至今还记得他。
B: And you know what, the person who bought my membership, is who? My father.
你知道吗,是谁通过我的介绍入会?我的父亲。
A: Ooh, that's a tough job.
哦,这项工作真的很艰巨。
B: It was rough, really. It was really rough.
真的很艰苦,真的。很艰苦。
A: That's a lot of rejection, every day. No, no, no
每天都会被很多人拒绝,总是听到人说no,no,no。
B: I know, I mean if you think about it, that's natural though, I mean 5 million yen. and I can't really show the place, cause I can't take the person to the place. all I can do is show the picture and speak and that was right after the bubble economy bursted, so nobody had really, nobody had money, so.
我知道,我是说如果你仔细想想,这就是很自然的事,500万日元啊。而且我无法展示俱乐部场所,因为我不能带客户过去参观。我能做的只是展示图片并且介绍,而且那正是在产生经济泡沫之后,所以没有人真的想入会,也没有人有这个闲钱。
A: Wow, man so were you depressed? Were you sad?
哇,兄弟,那你沮丧吗?难过吗?
B: It was very interesting. It was hard to motivate myself. The people would call the police, and call me like a robber Yeah, yeah, cause I had to like open the gate and run to the door and stick my leg so that they won't shut the door.
很有趣。这份工作很难激励我的斗志。人们会报警称我是强盗,所以我只能打开院门,小跑到房门前用腿顶住门缝,以防他们关上屋门。
A: Seriously.
你是认真的?
B: Yeah, that's how you do it. Door to door sells.
是的,是你也会这么做。这就是挨家挨户的销售。
A: Wow, that's, that's a tough job. I don't think I could do a job, what's your job now? What do you do now?
哇,真是一项艰苦的工作。我不认为我能胜任这份工作,你现在在做什么?从事什么职业?
B: I am, I work for Yokohama city and I am in a place called Yokohama Convention Bureau. It's a city job.
我在横滨市横滨会议局工作。这是一份市政工作。
A: OK, so the Yokohama Convention Bureau. OK, so you deal with foreigners, naturally cause it's in English.
好的,横滨会议局。那么你主要和外国人打交道,自然是说英语了。
B: And travellers and visitors and what have you.
还有旅客和游客
A: Do you like your job now?
你热爱你现在的工作吗?
B: Interesting! Like I said I meet talk to about over 2,000 people a day, so it's kind of tiring though.
很有趣!如我所说的,我每天能和2000多人打交道,因此也是一份很辛苦的工作。
A: Wow, 2,000 people a day.
哇,一天接触2000多人。
B: About 200 people an hour. My office is at the station. Yokohama station. Right out of the gate of the JR, so people are going to stop by.
大概一小时有200人。我的办公室就在横滨站。就在日本铁路公司对面,所以经常有人顺便去看看我。
A: You, that's a lot of talking. You must be tired of talking.
我们谈了很多,你一定很累了吧。
B: I am tired.
是的,很累。