有一位同学其中一段的观点是,通过在社交网站上分享个人信息,人们可以更好的留存自己的记忆。其中例子部分他时这样写的:
Last year is my parents' 20th anniversary of marriage. I gave them CDs and photos as gift. These CDs and photos are collected from their Facebook home pages. After receiving my gift, they were deeply impressed.
可以看出,这个段落犯了许多同学容易犯的问题——依然是简单句的大量堆砌。然而,想要把这段文字改正比较好的复合句,其实并不难,首先我们要从每一句话在这个例子中所起的作用是什么:
Last year is my parents' 20th anniversary of marriage. 这句说的是时间发生的时间
I gave them CDs and photos as gift. 这是整件事的核心。
These CDs and photos are collected from their Facebook home pages. 这是对礼物的句子描述,也就是定语。
After receiving my gift, they were deeply impressed. 这句说的是时间发生之后的结果。
这样分析就非常简单了,只要把每一个部分起到的作用后面加上“从句”两个字,这个句子的改写方法就呼之欲出了。
Last year is my parents' 20th anniversary of marriage.可以改成时间状语从句,加上when
I gave them CDs and photos as gift.不变
These CDs and photos are collected from their Facebook home pages.可改成定语从句,加上which
After receiving my gift, they were deeply impressed.可改成结果状语从句,也可以选择用非谓语动词表示结果。
把这些句子重新组合在一起,就可以这样写:
For instance, when it comes to my parents' 20th anniversary of marriage last year, I gave them CDs and photos, which were collected from their Facebook home pages, as gift, impressing them deeply.
由此我们可以看出,只需要适当的修改,刚才还是简单句的罗列,现在已经成为了比较规范的复合句。自然这些句子还可以写得更好,如可以选择更贴切的词汇。但对于许多还不习惯使用复合句的学生而言,这已经是符合ETS要求的规范的句式。