1.有大型动词后可以跟由不定式构成的复合宾语:
He asked me to get in touch with her.
他要我和她取得联系。
They encouraged her to try again.
他们鼓励她再试试。
I like people to tell the truth.
我喜欢人讲真话。
You must get her to sign that.
你必须让她在这上面签字。
The rain compelled us to stay indoors.
下雨迫使我们留在家里。
I wish you to be happy.
我希望你快乐。
I strongly advised him not to do so.
我极力劝他别这样做。
I recommend you to take a holiday.
我建议你休一次假。
2.在某些动词后,只能用to be引起的不定武短语构成复合宾语:
I should suppose him to be about fifty.
我想他大约50岁。
Imagine yourself to be in her place.
设想你处于她的位置。
He found the patient to be a small boy.
他发现病人是一个小男孩。
They suspected him to be a liar.
他们疑心他是一个爱撒谎的人。
但却可用不定式的完成形式和进行形式:
I consider him to have acted disgracefully.
我认为他行为不光彩。
He believed her to be telling the truth.
他相信她讲的是真话。
3.这类句型常可用在被动结构中:
She was obliged to abandon the idea.
她被迫放弃这个想法。
He was thought to be a spy.
他被认为是间谍。
She was told to be home by ten.
他们让她十点以前回家。
He was warned not to be there.
有人警告他不要到那里去。
4.在某些动词后作宾语补语的不定式不带to:
What made you think so?
什么使你这样想?
I won't have you cheat me.
我不能让你骗我。
I saw her face go pale.
我看见她的脸变得苍白。
Delighted to hear you say that.
听你这样讲我很高兴。
但这种句子变为被动结构时,不定式仍需加to:
He was seen to pick it up.
有人看见他把它捡起的。
She was heard to go downstairs.
有人听见她下楼。