(双语)月亮和六便士 第12章(1)
教程:月亮和六便士  浏览:560  
  • 00:00/00:00
  • 提示:点击文章中的单词,就可以看到词义解释

    Chapter 12

    第十二章

    The Avenue de Clichy was crowded at that hour, and a lively fancy might see in the passers-by the personages of many a sordid romance. There were clerks and shopgirls; old fellows who might have stepped out of the pages of Honore de Balzac; members, male and female, of the professions which make their profit of the frailties of mankind. There is in the streets of the poorer quarters of Paris a thronging vitality which excites the blood and prepares the soul for the unexpected.

    这会儿正是克里舍林荫路最热闹的时刻,只需要发挥一点儿想象力,就能够在过往行人中发现不少庸俗罗曼司中的人物。小职员和女售货员,宛如从巴尔扎克的小说中走出来的老古董,靠着人性的弱点赚钱糊口的一些行当的男女成员。在巴黎的一些贫穷地区,街道上总是人群熙攘,充满无限生机,使你血流激动,随时准备为你演一出意想不到的好戏。

    Do you know Paris well? I asked.

    “你对巴黎熟悉不熟悉?”我问。

    No. We came on our honeymoon. I haven't been since.

    “不熟悉。我们度蜜月的时候来过。以后我从来没有再来。”

    How on earth did you find out your hotel?

    “那你怎么会找到这家旅馆的?”

    It was recommended to me. I wanted something cheap.

    “别人介绍的。我要找一家便宜的。”

    The absinthe came, and with due solemnity we dropped water over the melting sugar.

    苦艾酒端上来了,我们一本正经地把水浇在溶化的糖上。

    I thought I'd better tell you at once why I had come to see you, I said, not without embarrassment.

    “我想我还是坦白对你讲我为什么来找你吧,”我有一些困窘地说。

    His eyes twinkled. "I thought somebody would come along sooner or later. I've had a lot of letters from Amy."

    他的眼睛闪闪发亮。“我早就想迟早会有个人来的。阿美已经给我写了一大堆信来了。”

    Then you know pretty well what I've got to say.

    “那么我要对你讲的,不用我说你也知道得很清楚了。”

    I've not read them.

    “她那些信我都没有看。”

    I lit a cigarette to give myself a moment's time. I did not quite know now how to set about my mission. The eloquent phrases I had arranged, pathetic or indignant, seemed out of place on the Avenue de Clichy. Suddenly he gave a chuckle.

    我点了一支烟,为了给自己一些思索的时间。我这时候真不知道该怎样办理我承担下的这件差事了。我准备好的一套绝妙词令,哀婉的也罢、愤激的也罢,在克里舍林荫道上以乎都不合拍了。突然,思特里克兰德咯咯地笑起来。

    Beastly job for you this, isn't it?

    “交给你办的事很叫你头疼,对不对?”

    Oh, I don't know, I answered.

    “啊,我不知道,”我回答。

    Well, look here, you get it over, and then we'll have a jolly evening.

    “听我说,你赶快把肚子里的事说出来,以后咱们可以痛快地玩一个晚上。”

    I hesitated.

    我犹豫不定。

    Has it occurred to you that your wife is frightfully unhappy?

    “你想到过没有,你的妻子痛苦极了?”

    She'll get over it.

    “事情会过去的。”

    I cannot describe the extraordinary callousness with which he made this reply. It disconcerted me, but I did my best not to show it. I adopted the tone used by my Uncle Henry, a clergyman, when he was asking one of his relatives for a subscription to the Additional Curates Society.

    他说这句话的那种冷漠无情我简直无法描摹。我被他这种态度搞得心慌意乱,但是我尽量掩盖着自己。我采用了我的一位亨利叔叔说话的语调;亨利叔叔是个牧师,每逢他请求哪位亲戚给候补副牧师协会捐款的时候总是用这种语调。

    0/0
      上一篇:(双语)月亮和六便士 第11章(3) 下一篇:(双语)月亮和六便士 第15章(2)

      本周热门

      受欢迎的教程