Model: [1996.8.]
——Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (为什么你开会迟到?我让你的同屋告诉你改时间的事了。)
——She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她记性不好,有时真让我心烦。)
52)give someone a break 不要去管,饶了某人吧
Model: [1994.5.]
——Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已经够紧张了。)
53)head and shoulders above (在…方面)强于某人
Model: [1991.10.]
——In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在计算机编程上,Susan比我们强。)
54)in the red 赤字,负债
Model: [1996.5.]
——So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership renewal. ( 到目前为止,俱乐部有300元赤字,然而还有4个月才到交会员费的时间。)
——Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那么,我们必须提高会员费了。)
55)in the dark 一无所知;不了解情况
Model: [1994.1.]
——Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道这通知讲的是什么吗?)
——I’m as in the dark as you are. (我也跟你一样不了解情况。)