李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话第46课
教程:李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话  浏览:2778  
  • 00:00/00:00
  • 提示:点击文章中的单词,就可以看到词义解释

    7. I Get Cold Feet
    畏缩不前

    BACKGROUND 背景

    One friend is encouraging another to see a dentist.
    一个人在鼓励他的朋友去看牙医。

    A : Hi, Mike. What’s new?
    嗨,迈克。你好吗?

    B: What’s wrong with you? Your face is swollen. You look terrible!
    你这是怎么啦?脸都肿了。气色很不好!

    A : My jaw aches. I don’t know why.
    我下巴疼,我也不知道是怎么回事。

    B: Let me take a look. No wonder it hurts! One of your teeth looks decayed. You’d better see a dentist right away.
    让我看一看。难怪疼呀!你有颗牙齿坏了。最好马上去看牙医。

    A: Do you think I have to? I’ve been putting it off for weeks. To tell the honest truth, dentists scare me to death. I get cold feet when I have to go to one. Even thinking of it makes me shake.
    一定要去吗?我都拖了好几个星期了。说实话,我害怕牙医怕得要死。每次去到那里我就紧张得不得了。就连想到牙医我都不寒而栗。

    B: Don’t be silly. You’d be better off seeing one. I’ll make an appointment for you. Only a fool is afraid of the dentist!
    别犯傻了。你还是要看医生的。我来帮你预约。只有傻子才怕见牙医呢!

    A: Okay. I might as well go. But find me one who doesn’t hurt!
    好。还是去吧。不过帮我找一个看牙不疼的牙医哦!

    B: Come on. I’m your best friend. You can count on me. There’s nothing to be afraid of.
    好啦。我是你最好的朋友,你就放心吧。没有什么可害怕的。

    A: Well, if you say so, I’ll take your word for it.
    好吧,既然你这么说,我就照你说的做。

    额外成就感

    no wonder: it isn’t surprising 难怪;不足为奇☆☆☆
    * No wonder you’re tired! You stayed up the whole night.
    难怪你这么累,你一个晚上没睡觉。
    * No wonder we couldn’t find you. You were in America!
    难怪我们找不到你呢。你在美国!
    * No wonder your husband is mad. I would be too if I were in his shoes.
    你老公生气这不足为奇。如果我是他的话也会生气的。

    right away: immediately 马上;即刻☆☆☆
    * I’m sorry I forgot to bring the book for you; I’ll take care of it right away.
    对不起,我忘了把书给你带来,我马上就去给你拿。
    * After I took the medicine, I felt better right away.
    我吃完药就马上感觉好多了。
    * We need to leave right away or we’ll be late.
    我们得赶紧走,要不就迟到了。

    put something off: postpone 推迟做某事☆☆☆☆
    * Because of the weather, we have to put the picnic off until next week.
    因为天气的原因,我们不得不把野炊推迟到下个星期。
    * Don’t put off studying until the last minute.
    不要把学习的事推到最后。
    * I don’t want to put off our meeting until next week.
    我不想把会议推迟到下个星期。

    get cold feet: become very cautious; be afraid to do something
    胆怯;局促不安☆☆☆☆☆
    * Every time I want to ask her out, I get cold feet.
    每次我想约她出去,都打退堂鼓。
    * I thought you were going to open your own business. What happened, did you get cold feet?
    我还以为你要着手开办自己的公司呢。发生了什么事,你不敢了吗?
    * She was supposed to get married last month but she got cold feet.
    她本应该上个月结婚的,但她又打了退堂鼓。

    be better off: be better on a long-term basis
    (对于做某事来说)较明智☆☆☆☆☆
    * Do you think I’d be better off quitting my job and going abroad?
    你觉得我辞去工作出国是不是明智之举?
    * You’d be better off going to the office in person instead of trying to call.
    你亲自去办公室比打电话要强得多。
    * I think I’d be better off if I were single!
    我要是单身的话会更好一些!

    might as well: it is a good idea to do something, although not of major importance 倒不如;满可以☆☆☆☆
    * If you’re going to the library, I might as well go with you and return these books.
    如果你要去图书馆的话,我倒不如跟你一起去把这些书还了。
    * You might as well give me your phone number if you’re going to be here a few days.
    你要是来这住几天的话,倒不如把电话号码也给我。
    * As long as we’re here we might as well try the Beijing duck.
    既然我们来了,倒不如吃北京烤鸭。

    0/0
      上一篇:李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话第45课 下一篇:李阳疯狂英语突破口语之突破对话第47课

      本周热门

      受欢迎的教程

      下载听力课堂手机客户端
      随时随地练听力!(可离线学英语)