Situational Words and Phrases 情景词汇
1.awful a. 糟糕的,可怕的
A: His father just passed away.
甲:他父亲刚刚谢世。
B: How awful!
乙:太糟了!
2.compassion n. 同情
A: It's strange that the millionaire has compassion for the sick and poor.
甲:很奇怪,那百万富翁怜悯病人和穷人。
B: Maybe he has too much money!
乙:也许他有太多的钱!
3.condulence n. 吊慰,哀悼
A: You've my sincere condolences.
甲:请接受我真诚的安慰。
B: Thank you.
乙:谢谢。
4.dreadful a. 可怕的,令人不快的
A: He failed in business and killed himself.
甲:他买卖亏了本,自杀了。
B: Oh, what a dreadful thing to happen!
乙:哎呀,太糟糕了。
5.extend one's sympathy to sh. 向某人致以同情
A: I know schooling's irnpvrtant to me, but I have to quit school. My parents are suffering from poverty. They can't afford to pay this tuition.
甲:我知道上学对我很重要,但我不得不辍学。我父母在受贫穷之苦。他们交不起学费。
B: Oh,I'm sorry to hear that. Please extend my sympathy tv them.
乙:哦,听到这事我很难过。请向他们表示我的同情。
6.likely a./ad. 有可能的(地)
A: It seems hardly likely that they would agree with you.
甲:他们似乎不大可能同意你的观点。
B: I'll try my best to persuade them to aooept my view.
乙:我要尽力说服他们。
7.miracle n. 奇迹
A: I guess he'll fail the exam.
甲:我猜想他考试会不及格。
13: Maybe he'Il pass it by some miracle.
乙:也许他会侥幸通过。
8.one's heart goes out to sb. 非常同情某人
A: She failed the exam.
甲:她考试没及格。
B: My heart goes out to her.
乙:我很同情她。
9.possiblllty n. 可能性
A: Is there any possibility of their success?
甲:他们可能成功吗?
B: Absolutely.
乙:绝对有可能。
10.prediet v. 预言,推侧
A: They're. predicting a good harvest this year.
甲:据说今年会有好收成。
B: But I don't think so.
乙:我看未必。
11.probability n. 可能性
A: There is much probability that he carr he saved.
甲:很有可能他会获救。
B: I hope.
乙:但愿如此。
12.somewhat ad. 有几分,略,稍
A: You seem to be about forty or somewhat younger. Maybe thirty-six or so.
甲:你好像四十岁,或更年轻一点儿。也许三十六岁左右。
B: It's kind of you to say so. I'm no longer that young. I'm forty-six.
乙:谢谢你这么说。我不再那么年轻了。我四十六岁。
13.suppose v. 推想,以为,假想
A: I suppose he could have gone to Europe. But how did he obtain a visa to visit there?
甲:我推想他可能已经去了欧洲。可他是怎么弄到去那儿访问的签证的呢?
B: Maby he was lucky.
乙:也许他运气好吧。
14.sympathetic a. 有同情心的,体谅的
A: How do you like your boss?
甲:你觉得老板怎么样?
B: He's very sympathetic.
乙:他很有同情心。
15.sympathize v. 同情
A: I sympathise with the plight of the children whose parents ran't afford to send them to school.
甲:我非常同情那些孩子的境况,他们的父母供不起他们上学。
B: So do I.
乙:我也是。
16.take pity on 可怜,同情
A: How did you get wet all over?
甲:怎么搞得浑身都湿了?
B: I forgot to take an uinbreila and had to walk through the pouring rain until a kind driver took pity on me.
乙:我忘了带雨伞,一直在飘泼大雨中走着,直到有一个司机同情我(搭他的车回来)。