Situational Words and Phrases 情景词汇
1.agreement n. 赞成
A: Are you in agreement with me?
甲:你同意我吗?
B: I'm sorry, but I should say that you're wrong.
乙:对不起,我得说你错了。
2.angle n. 角度
A: Can't we look at it from another angle?
甲:难道我们就不能换个角度看看?
B: I don't think there's much need.
乙:我看没有多大必要。
3.argument n. 争论,论据
A; I'm not quite sure about your argument.
甲:我对你的论点不太敢肯定。
B: Which part?
乙:你指的是哪一部分?
4.at adds with 与……争执,与……不一致
A: What else?
甲:您还想说什么?
B: I'm sorry, Gut I'm at adds with you over the plan.
乙:对不起,不过对该计划我和你有分歧。
5.beside the point 离题
A: What he said is beside the point.
甲:他离题了。
B: I agree with you.
乙:同意。
6.debate v. 争论
A: I hope we can continue with the question we debated last time we met.
甲:希望我们能继续上次见面时我们争论的那个问题。
B: Yeah, of course.
乙:是的,当然可以。
7.detail n. 详细(的内容)
A: I don't see why you've made such a decision.
甲:真搞不懂你怎么做了这么一个决定。
B: Let me give you all the details.
乙:我会告诉你详情的。
8.discussion n. 讨论
A: We shall have an extra discussion next time.
甲:下次我们再另行讨论。
B: When and where?
乙:何时何地?
9.extent n. 程度
A: If you don' t like the idea, I hope you can tell me.
甲:如果你不赞成,我希望你能直说。
B: Well, in fact I only agree with you to some extent.
乙:唔,实际上,我只是在一定程度上同愈你的观点。
10.false a. 错误的
A: It seems to me that English people look very Gold and hostile.
甲:在我看来,英国人显得很冷摸,不友好。
B: It's unfair to think so. We often make false assumptions about people of other cultures.
乙:这样认为是不公平的。我们时常对拥有其他文化背景的人进行错误的判断。
11.frank a. 坦率的
A: Clear?
甲:都清楚了吗?
B: To be frank, I'm not sure if I understand you.
乙:说实话,我不知我是否明白你的意思。
12.have ant a leg to stand on 此没有根据
A: Are you with me or not?
甲:你到底同不同意我?
B: I'm sorry, but you don't hate a leg to stand on.
乙:对不起,不过我觉得你没有根据。
13.hear out 听完
A: Please hear me out!
甲:请听我说完!
B: OK,but do get to the point.
乙:好,不过要谈正题。
14.hold v. 停
A: Could you please hold it?
甲:请你暂停一下好吗?
B: Sure.
乙:好的。
15.interrupt v. 打扰
A: Sorry to interrupt, but what's your point?
甲:对不起,打扰了,但你的观点究竟是什么?
B: My point is: it's easier said than done.
乙:我认为说起来容易做起来难。
16.make up 和好
A: They quarreled but soon made up.
甲:他们吵过之后又很快和解了。
B: They are always doing that.
乙:他们总是这样。
17.mistaken a. 错误的
A: I saw Marie at the theater last night.
甲:我昨晚上在剧院看见玛丽了。
B: No, you must be mistaken. She was here with me. That might be her twin sister.
乙:不对,你一定搞错了。她和我在一起。那可能是她的孪生姐妹。
18.precise a. 精确的
A: You aren't serious, are you?
甲:你不是说真的吧?
B: But that's precisely what I mean.
乙:我就是那个意思。
19.put one's heads together 集思广益
A: How did the meeting go?
甲:会议进行得如何?
B: It was a success. We put our heads together and we finally got it.
乙:很成功。会上大家一起动脑筋,终于想出了办法。
20.tail v. 回想,记起
A: Miss Jiang is their representative.
甲:江小姐是他们的代表。
B: As I recall, she would be Miss Zhang.
乙:就我的记忆所及,应该是张小姐吧。
21.refer v. 意指
A: Who are you referring to?
甲:你在指谁?
B: You.
乙:我说的就是你。
22.stand one's chance 听天由命
A: Our profits are dropping.
甲:我们的利润额滑坡了。
B: Anyway, we are not going to stand our chance.
乙:不管怎么说,我们也不能听天由命。
23.so far 到目前为止
A: Does anyone have any questions so far?
甲:到目前为止,还有没有人有任何问题?
B:Yes.
乙:我有。
24.take issue with someone 反对某人,同某人争执
A: He won't accept the position.
甲:他不会接受这一职位的。
B: I take issue with you on that point.
乙:在这一点上我和你意见相左。
25.take sb. up 接受某人的建议等
A: What shout a five-minute break?
甲:休息五分钟怎么样?
B: I'll take you up on that.
乙:我接受您的建议。
26.talk sth. over 就……进行商谈
A: Why not sit down and talk it veer?
甲:让我们坐下来好好谈谈吧。
B: Glad to have the chance to give you my opinion.
乙:很高兴能有机会向你提供我的意见。
27.the pros and the cons 赞成与反对
A: Have you made up your mind?
甲:决定了吗?
B: After weighing the pros and the cons,we have decided to give up.
乙:权衡利弊之后,我们决定放弃。