Situational Words and Phrases 情景词汇
1.accent n. 口音,语音
A: His accent makes it difficult to understand his English.
甲:他的口音使他的英语很难懂。
B: Yes, he speaks Spanish English.
乙:是的,他讲的是西班牙式的英语。
2.break one's word 失信
A: Dad,you promised to buy me a computer! You won't break your ward,will you?
甲:爸爸,你答应给我买电脑的!我想你不会失信的,是吗?
B: No, I never break my ward to a good child.
乙:不会的,我从不对一个听话的孩子失言。
3.classic n. 古典名著
A: What kind of books do you like to read, Jane?
甲:琼,你喜欢读什么样的书?
B: I like the classics very much, they're real spellbinders.
乙:我喜欢读古典名著,它们实在令我着迷。
4.give one's word 许诺
A: What if John won't help us?
甲:约翰不帮咱们怎么办?
B: He will. He has given his word.
乙:他会的,他已经答应了。
5.lousy a. 糟糕的
A: His grammar is lousy.
甲:他的语法实在是糟糕。
B: I think so. I ran only guess what he is saying most of the time.
乙:我也这样认为。大多数时候我只能猜他在说什么。
6.have words (with someone) 与某人口角
A: They used to be very close, but since they had words, they don't speak to each other.
甲:他们过去非常亲密,但是自从发生口角之后,他们彼此不再谈话了。
B: That's why I found them behaving as if they don't know each other.
乙:怪不得我发现他们好像互不认识似的。
7.idiom n. 习语
A: Can you tell me one English idiom referring to this case?
甲:就这种情况而言,你能告诉我一个英语习语吗?
B: Of course, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is one of them.
乙:当然,例如“老年人旧习难改”。
8.mother tongue 母语
A: English has become more popular now.
甲:英语时下变得更流行了。
B: Today, English is the mother tongue of nearly a third of a billion people.
乙:如今英语是近三亿三千万人的母语。
9.one's last word 终极命令
A: Freeze! Or I'll shoot. That's my last word.
甲:别动!要不我就开枪了,这是你最后的机会。
B: Put the gun aside, otherwise you'll be sorry.
乙:把枪放在一边,要不你会后悔的。
10.originate v. 起源于.创始
A: Shakespeare coined a lot of wards in his literary works.
甲:莎士比亚在他的文学作品中造了好多新词。
B: Today, many words originated from literature, too.
乙:当今,许多新词也同样是源于文学作品。
11.pet phrase 口头禅
A: Why did he often say "My Jesus"?
甲:他为何老是说“我的主啊”?
B: That is his pet phrase.
乙:那是他的口头禅。
12.vocabulary n. 词汇,词语
A: You Japanese people speak quite differently, I think.
甲:我想,你们日本人说的日语很不同。
B: Yeah, there is a subtle but very distinct difference in the vocabulary between men and women.
乙:是的,在男人和女人所用的词汇之间有微妙但却很明显的差别。
13.word for word 逐字逐句
A: I can't do my work again, ma'am. I think I translated every word right.
甲:老师,我不能从新做。我认为我每个词都翻译对了。
B: It won't do to translate word far word.
乙:逐字逐句翻译是行不通的。