“进来吧,爱德华。”
I breathed a sigh of relief when Charlie got his nameright.
我如释重负地松了口气,这次查理终于把他的名字念对了。
"Thanks, Chief Swan," Edward said in a respectfulvoice.
“谢谢,史温警长。”爱德华毕恭毕敬地说道。
"Go ahead and call me Charlie. Here, I'll take your jacket."
“进来,叫我查理就行,我来拿你的外套。”
"Thanks, sir."
“谢谢,先生。”
"Have a seat there, Edward."
“坐吧,爱德华。”
I grimaced.
我扮了个鬼脸。
Edward sat down fluidly in the only chair, forcing me to sit next to Chief Swan on the sofa. Iquickly shot him a dirty look. He winked behind Charlie's back.
爱德华毫不犹豫地坐到了唯一的一张椅子上,逼得我只好过去和查理一起坐在沙发上。我飞快地狠狠瞪了他一眼。他在查理背后使了个眼色。
"So I hear you're getting my girl to watch baseball." Only in Washington would the fact that itwas raining buckets have no bearing at all on the playing of outdoor sports.
“那么,我听说你要带我的女儿去看棒球。”只有在华盛顿,外面下着倾盆大雨的事实才会对参加户外运动毫无影响。
"Yes, sir, that's the plan." He didn't look surprised that I'd told my father the truth. He mighthave been listening, though.
“是的,先生。计划是这样的。”他看上去毫不惊讶于我居然把实情告诉了我爸爸。不过,他也许早就听到了。
"Well, more power to you, I guess."
“嗯,我猜,我得祝你大大的好运了。”
Charlie laughed, and Edward joined in.
查理大笑起来,而爱德华也跟着笑了起来。
"Okay." I stood up. "Enough humor at my expense. Let's go." I walked back to the hall andpulled on my jacket. They followed.
“好了。”我站起来。“拿我寻开心也该适可而止了。我们走吧。”我走回前厅,穿上我的外套。他们都跟着走了过来。
"Not too late, Bell."
“别待太晚,贝拉。”
"Don't worry, Charlie, I'll have her home early," Edward promised.
“别担心,查理,我一定会早早把她送回家。”爱德华保证道。
"You take care of my girl, all right?"
“照顾好我女儿,好吗?”
I groaned, but they ignored me.
我呻吟起来,但他们都无视我。
"She'll be safe with me, I promise, sir."
“她跟我在一起会很安全的,我保证,先生。”
Charlie couldn't doubt Edward's sincerity, it rang in every word.
查理根本无法质疑爱德华的诚意,他说出的每一个字都饱含着诚挚。
I stalked out. They both laughed, and Edward followed me.
我大步走出屋外。他们都大笑起来,爱德华跟着我走出来。