1.表语有时由从句表示,特别是that引起的从句(that有时省略):
The trouble with you is you won't listen.
你的问题是不听别人的话。
My opinion is that you ought to go together.
我的意思是你们应当一道去。
My secret hope was that one day I should become an author
我暗中希望我有一天成为作家。
What surprised me was that she spoke English so well.
使我惊奇的是她的英语讲得这么好。
His only worry was that she might do something desperate.
他唯一的忧虑是她可能做出不顾后果的事。
Sophia's idea was that they should lock up the house.
索菲亚的意见是他们应把房子锁上。
2.也有时可以是由连接代(副)词或whether引起的从句:
The problem is who can be put in charge of the work.
问题是能派谁来负责这项工作。
That's where we differ.
这就是我们的分歧所在。
That's why I came round.
这就是我来的原因。
April is when the lilacs bloom.
四月是丁香花开的季节。
The point is whether we ought to recommend him.
问题是我们是否应当推荐他。
The question is what you are going to do next.
问题是下一步你准备怎么办。
3.表语可以由关系代词型的what引起:
That's what I ought to do.
这是我的本分(该做的事)。
That's exactly what I hope.
这正好是我希望的。
Power is what they are out for.
他们想谋求的是权力。
I want to be a teacher.That's what I want to be.
我想当老师,这就是我的志愿。
Times aren't what they were.
时代不同了。