胡敏读故事记托福词汇 第235期:A Worldly Wholesaler 老于世故的批发商
教程:胡敏读故事记托福词汇  浏览:1462  
  • 00:00/00:00
  • 提示:点击文章中的单词,就可以看到词义解释

    胡敏读故事记托福词汇 第235期:A Worldly Wholesaler 老于世故的批发商

    I'll admit to anyone that I am a worldly person.

    我愿意向任何人承认,我是个老于世故的人。

    I enjoy wrapping myself in luxury.

    我喜欢耽于奢华。

    Poverty, or even a middle-class existence, is not something I would be able to withstand.

    贫困,或者即使是中产阶级的生活,也是我无法承受的。

    If I had to give up my fresh pate and my caviar,

    如果让我放弃肉馅饼和鱼子酱,

    I would suffer such bad withdrawal symptoms that I would most assuredly die.

    我会出现严重的脱瘾症状,我确定无疑会死掉。

    When people tell me that my extravagant lifestyle is withering away my soul,

    当人们告诉我说我奢华的生活方式正消磨着我的灵魂,

    I tell them I'd much rather wither away in a mansion than in a shack.

    我告诉他们我宁愿在豪宅中消磨,也不想在陋室中生活。

    Where money whirs, there I am. It wasn't just on a whim that I became a wholesaler.

    哪里金钱叮当作响,我就在哪里。我成为批发商并非一时的心血来潮。

    The wholesaler business was where the action was when I first began.

    批发生意是我最初从事的行业。

    It has since whittled down to just a few companies,

    从此以后削减到只剩几家公司,

    but back when I was first starting out in business, a fortune could be made there by just about anyone.

    但是如果回到我最初开始做生意的时候,几乎任何人都可以大赚一笔。

    After making a small, modest fortune, I withdrew my interests from the wholesale business.

    在适当发了一笔小财之后,我从批发生意中撤出股权。

    It was still doing well at the time I left, and people thought I was crazy for leaving.

    我离开的时候,生意运行得不错,人们都以为我疯了。

    I didn't wince even once, however.

    但我从未退缩过。

    What some people refer to as a wily disposition, I simply refer to as a smart business decision.

    人们所称的诡诈脾性,我将其称为精明的商业决定。

    I wasn't being wily when I left. Now understand, I wasn't being wholesome, either.

    我离开时并非表现诡诈。现在明白了,我当时也并非身心健全。

    There's limited amount of money out there, and if I don't get it, someone else will.

    钱数有限,如果我不拿,别人也会拿。

    By quietly wiggling out of the wholesale industry

    我不声不响地从批发行业扭转屁股就开溜,

    instead of making a huge announcement and encouraging others to do the same, I actually made money.

    而没有大张旗鼓,不让别人效仿,我实际上赚了钱。

    There was nothing mean spirited to this. It was just me being a businessman.

    这样做没有什么卑鄙的。只是因为我是个批发商。

    If the industry is about to have a calamitous wreck,

    假如这个行业要有灾难性的破坏,

    why should I hold the responsibility of wrestling people away from it?

    我为什么要负责拉扯别人从中脱身呢?

    I was not going to stand by and witness my own investments become nothing.

    我不会眼睁睁她看着自己的投资化为乌有。

    That would have been quite a woolly lose.

    那将是不明不白的损失。

    I'm wistful when I lose money, but as it stands, my wits are still intact.

    我赔钱时会愁眉苦脸,但就目前的情况来说,我的神志仍然完好无损。

    I just built a new winter residence, a nice cabin, out in the woods of Oregon.

    我在俄勒冈的森林中刚刚建造了一处新的冬季住所,一个漂亮的小木屋。

    I wrap myself in the finest woolen jackets, made from the most expensive wool.

    我身穿用最昂贵的羊毛制成的最漂亮的毛料夹克衫。

    I go out in the evenings and listen to the beautiful sounds of the surrounding wildlife.

    我在晚上走出屋子,倾听周围野生动物美妙无比的叫声。

    I dare not complain about how I made my money.

    我绝不抱怨自己赚钱的方式。

     

    重点词汇

    modest['mɔdist]

    adj. 谦虚的,适度的,端庄的

    announcement[ə'naunsmənt]

    n. 通知,发表,宣布

    complain[kəm'plein]

    vi. 抱怨,悲叹,控诉

    whim[wim]

    n. 一时的兴致,突然的念头;奇想,幻想

    luxury['lʌkʃəri]

    n. 奢侈,豪华,奢侈品

    fortune['fɔ:tʃən]

    n. 财产,命运,运气

    wily['waili]

    adj. 狡猾的

    poverty['pɔvəti]

    n. 贫困,贫乏

    intact[in'tækt]

    adj. 完好无缺的,原封不动的,未经触碰的

    decision[di'siʒən]

    n. 决定,决策

    0/0
      上一篇:胡敏读故事记托福词汇 第234期:A weary warrior 厌战的勇士 下一篇:胡敏读故事记托福词汇 第236期:Former football glory 橄榄赛场的昔日荣耀

      本周热门

      受欢迎的教程

      下载听力课堂手机客户端
      随时随地练听力!(可离线学英语)