是谁在管理哈佛深红报?报刊有些什么内容
教程:英语对话  浏览:146  
  • 00:00/00:00
  • 提示:点击文章中的单词,就可以看到词义解释
    今天的这段对话,在讨论哈佛深红报,
     
    是谁在管理哈佛深红报?报刊有些什么内容
     
    来听今天的讲解:

     
    A: Hey, John, what are you reading?
     
    嗨,约翰,你在看什么?
     
    B: The Harvard Crimson.
     
    在看《哈佛深红报》。
     
    A: Is it a newspaper published by Harvard University?
     
    这是哈佛大学出版的吗?
     
    B: Not exactly, it’s published by Harvard Crimson, Inc.
     
    不完全是,是哈佛深红公司出版的。
     
    A: Is there a difference?
     
    不是一样的吗?
     
    B: The company is independent of the university.
     
    哈佛深红公司是独立于哈佛大学的。
     
    A: I got it. A lot of universities have their own presses, and the presses have their own staff, and make their own money.
     
    我知道了。很多大学有自己的出版社,出版社有自己的员工为自己赚钱。
     
    B: Right. But this one is out of the ordinary. It’s non-profit, and its staff is all undergrads from Harvard College.
     
    对,但是这是一个例外。它是非盈利的,而且里面的员工都是哈佛学院的学生。
     
    A: Really? Did I hear it wrong?
     
    真的?我没有听错吧?
     
    B:The newspaper is absolutely run by the Harvard College undergraduate students.
     
    报刊完全是由哈佛学院的本科生管理的。
     
    A: Amazing! Enough to make a cat speak!
     
    哇,真是令入惊讶
     
    B: Don’t appear like Columbus having discovered the New Continent.
     
    别一副哥伦布发现新大陆的样子。
     
    A: But I’m really quite shocked. It may be common for students to establish a newspaper. I’ve never heard such a thing as a newspaper run by undergrads can develop into a corporation.
     
    但是我真的很惊讶。学生创建一个报刊也许很平常,但我从来没听说过由大学生管理的报社能够成为一家公司。
     
    B: It's no surprise that you’re so surprised. Few college newspapers in America have their own printing presses, and The Crimson is one of the few.
     
    你这么惊讶也不奇怪。因为在美国,几乎没有什么大学报刊有自己的印刷设备,哈佛大学深红就是少有的一家。
     
    A: You should have told me that earlier. You made me look like a mug.
     
    你应该早点告诉我,弄得我像个傻子一样。
     
    B: Sorry, no offense at all.
     
    不好意思,我不是故意的。
     
    A: So the newspaper is nan-profitable, and independent of the university. Am I right?
     
    所以说报社是不盈利的,并且独立于大学,对吗?
     
    B: Yes, all decisions on the content and day-to-day operations of the newspaper are made by undergraduates, having nothing to do with the university administration.
     
    对,报刊的内容和日常管理都是由学生自己决定的,与大学的行政管理没有任何关系
     
    A: Harvard students are, how can I put it, geniuses, given the size of the newspaper.
     
    这些学生简直是,怎么说呢,是天才,考虑到报纸的规模。
     
    B: It is one of the first-class universities in the world. You know, a good university is what it is because its students are outstanding.
     
    哈佛是世界上最好的大学之一。你也知道,学校好是因为它的学生很优秀。
     
    A: Right. What the newspaper is about?
     
    对,报刊有些什么内客啊?
     
    B: It covers everything, from student activities to arts, anything you can think of.
     
    它覆盖了所有东西,从学生的活动到艺术,任何你能想到的都有。
     
    A: It sure is big.
     
    还真是包罗万象啊。
     
    B: Although it’s all-inclusive,it has adhered to journalistic integrity.
     
    尽管它包罗万象,但它仍然保持新闻的完整性。
     
    A: That deserves respect. How often does it come out?
     
    那是值得尊重的,那多久出一期啊?
     
    B: One day. It’s daily newspaper, and is the only daily newspaper in our city. It comes out every morning.
     
    —天一期,是我市唯一的日报,每天早上出。
     
    A: Does it have enough staff, or students to report the news?
     
    有足够的员工或者是学生报道新闻吗?
     
    B: I guess so. And I believe that as long as you become one of them, you can become an editor soon,
     
    我想有,而且我相信如果你成为其中一员,你会很快成为一个编辑。
     
    A: An editor? Can I?
     
    编辑?我可以吗?
     
    B: Yes, you can do it.
     
    你可以的。
     
    A: Not again! I read from your face that you’re trying to make a monkey out of me.
     
    少来,你出我洋相吧。
     
    B: Whoops! You saw me through.
     
    哎哟,被你看穿了。
     
    A: It’s so transparent. Tell me what’s going on.
     
    太明显了。那是怎么一回事啊。
     
    B: It’s quite easy to be an editor of The Crimson. As long as you complete a series of requirements known as the “comp", you can be “elected” an “editor” of the newspaper.
     
    成为深红的编辑是很容易的。只要你能够完成"comp"提出的一系列要求,你就能成为报刊的编辑。
     
    A: Too good to be true.
     
    这让人难以置信!
     
    B: Trust me. All staff members of The Crimson, including writers, photographers, and graphic designers, are technically “editors”.
     
    相信我,深红里面所有的员工,包括作者,摄影师和图像设计师技术上都是编辑。
     
    A: That’s a little cheap.
     
    有点虚伪。
     
    B: Don’t look down upon it. Many editors turned out to be Pulitzer Prize-winners, and even Presidents, for example President Franklin D. Roosevelt and President John F. Kennedy.
     
    不要小看啊,有许多编辑后来获得了普利策奖,甚至成为总统,比如说富兰克林罗斯福总统和约翰肯尼迪总统。
     
    A: Impressive. Anyway, “editor” wins more respect Another question I’ve been meaning to ask you, why is the newspaper called The Crimson? Is it because crimson is Harvard's color?
     
    真让人印象深刻。无论如何,编辑会赢得更多尊重。我还想问你一个问题,为什么报刊名为深红?是因为哈佛的颜色是深红色吗?
     
    B: Bingo!
     
    对啦!

    0/0
      上一篇:美国想出了什么新方式去处理与其他国家的关系?为什么去成立一所政府学校 下一篇:在哈佛模拟联合国大会上可以学到什么?为什么每年都有来自世界各地的学生来参加这个大会

      本周热门

      受欢迎的教程

      下载听力课堂手机客户端
      随时随地练听力!(可离线学英语)