比尔:总算发饷了!我一直等着我的第一份工资,现在终于拿到了。我准备周末去参加宴会!哎呀!
Carol: What’s the matter?
卡罗尔:怎么了?
Bill: What happened to all my money? The amount ofthis check is a lot less than I expected it to be.
比尔:我的钱怎么了?这张支票的金额是比我预期的少了很多。
Carol: Yeah, my first paycheck was an eye-opener for me, too. Look at the pay stub and you’llsee all of the deductions. After federal income taxes, state income taxes, and FICA, you’re notleft with a lot of money.
卡罗尔:是啊,我的第一份工资也是令我眼界大开。看看工资存根,你会看到所有扣除的项目。扣除联邦收入税、州所得税和联邦社会保险税之后,你就所剩无几了。
Bill: You’re right, but what’s FICA?
比尔:你说得对。但是,联邦社会保险税是什么?
Carol: Those are taxes for Social Security and Medicare. Did you sign up for a retirement plan?If you did, those retirement contributions are deducted, too.
卡罗尔:这是用于社会保障和医疗保险的税项。你是不是签订了一个退休计划?如果你签了,这些养老金也要从工资中扣除。
Bill: Thank God, I didn’t. But you know what? That still doesn’t account for all of thedeductions.
比尔:感谢上帝,我没有签。但你知道吗?还有一些钱不知道什么原因扣除的。
Carol: Let me take a look. Oh, it looks like your wages are being garnished.
卡罗尔:让我看看。噢,看来你的工资被扣发了。
Bill: They’re garnishing my wages? What for?
比尔:他们扣发了我的工资?为什么啊?
Carol: Uh, do you have to pay child support or something like that?
卡罗尔:嗯,你是不是需要支付子女抚养费或类似的费用?
Bill: Oh, yeah, I guess I do. I’d forgotten about that. I guess I’d better change my weekend plans.
比尔:噢,是的,我是需要支付那样的费用。我把这茬儿忘了。我想我最好改变我的周末计划。
Carol: I guess so.
卡罗尔:我觉得也是。