“什么?”
"Your hands," he reminded me. I looked down at mypalms, at the almost-healed scrapes across the heelsof my hands. His eyes missed nothing.
“你的手。”他提醒我。我低下头看自己的掌心,看见了手腕上那些快愈合了的擦伤。什么都逃不过他的眼睛。
"I fell," I sighed.
“我摔倒了。”我叹了口气。
"That's what I thought." His lips curved up at the corners. "I suppose, being you, it could havebeen much worse — and that possibility tormented me the entire time I was away. It was a verylong three days. I really got on Emmett's nerves." He smiled ruefully at me.
“这正是我想到的。”他的嘴角弯了起来。“我料想着,就你来说,情况本来可能会更糟——而这正是在我离开的整个时间里一直折磨着我的痛苦的根源。这真是非常漫长的。艾美特几乎被我烦死了。”他惨兮兮地向我笑着。
"Three days? Didn't you just get back today?"
“三天?你不是昨天才回来吗?”
"No, we got back Sunday."
“不,我们星期天就回来了。”
"Then why weren't any of you in school?" I was frustrated, almost angry as I thought of howmuch disappointment I had suffered because of his absence.
“那为什么你们都不回学校呢?”我很沮丧,一想到因为他不在我所经受的那么多的失望的折磨,我就愤愤不平。
"Well, you asked if the sun hurt me, and it doesn't. But I can't go out in the sunlight — at least,not where anyone can see."
“嗯,你问过我阳光会不会伤害我,当然不会。但我不能走到太阳底下——至少,不能在任何会被别人看见的场合。”
"Why?"
“为什么?”
"I'll show you sometime," he promised.
“我会找个时间向你展示的。”他保证道。
I thought about it for a moment.
我思考了片刻。
"You might have called me," I decided.
“你应该打电话给我的。”我下定决心说道。
He was puzzled. "But I knew you were safe."
他很困惑。“但我知道你很安全。”
"But I didn't know where you were. I —" I hesitated, dropping my eyes.
“可我不知道你在哪里。我——”我迟疑着,垂下了眼帘。
"What?" His velvety voice was compelling.
“什么?”他天鹅绒般的声音催促着。
"I didn't like it. Not seeing you. It makes me anxious, too." I blushed to be saying this out loud.
“我不喜欢这样。见不到你。这也让我很不安。”这样大声地说出来让我羞红了脸。
He was quiet. I glanced up, apprehensive, and saw that his expression was pained.
他很安静。我惴惴不安地向他瞥了一眼,看见了他痛苦的神情。
"Ah," he groaned quietly. "This is wrong."
“啊,”他低声呻吟道。“这是错误的。”
I couldn't understand his response.
我不能理解他的反应。“我说了什么?”