A Memory of Youth
|
青春的回忆
|
The moments passed as at a play; |
那些时光,流逝如剧中场景; |
I had the wisdom love brings forth; |
我有了爱情带来的智慧; |
I had my share of mother-wit, |
我有些天赋,然而, |
And yet for all that I could say, |
无论我说些什么, |
And though I had her praise for it, |
虽能得到她的赞许,却挡不住 |
A cloud blown from the cut-throat north Suddenly hid Love's moon away. |
一片从苦寒的北方飘来的云 突然隐去爱神的月亮。 |
Believing every word I said, |
相信我的每一句话, |
I praised her body and her mind |
我赞美她的肉身与灵魂, |
Till pride had made her eyes grow bright, |
直到骄傲光耀了她的眼, |
And pleasure made her cheeks grow red, |
直到幸福绯红了她的颊, |
And vanity her footfall light, |
直到虚荣轻盈了她的脚步, |
Yet we, for all that praise, could find Nothing but darkness overhead. |
然而,虽有这样的赞美,我们能找到的也只有头顶的阴黑。 |
We sat as silent as a stone, |
我们静坐如石, |
We knew, though she'd not said a word, |
她虽无语,我们却都明白 |
That even the best of love must die, |
爱情的生命终会消殒, |
And had been savagely undone |
会经受无情的摧折。 |
Were it not that Love upon the cry |
还好,终于有只滑稽的小鸟 |
Of a most ridiculous little bird |
叫醒了爱神,他从云翳中 |
Tore from the clouds his marvellous moon. |
扯出了他的明媚的月亮。 |