Hoss?
-Christopher: Hoss Can'twright on Bonanza.
Hoss Can'twright “Bonanza的牛仔”里面的牛仔。
-Chris: How do you know Bonanza?
你从哪知道“Bonanza的牛仔”的?
-Christopher: We watch it at Mrs. Chu's.
在朱太太家看的。
-Chris: You watch Bonanza at daycare?
daycare: 日间照管儿童
你在幼儿园看“ Bonanza的牛仔”?
-Christopher: Yeah.
是啊。
-Chris: When? When do you watch it? After snack? After your nap?
snack: 吃点心 nap: 小睡
是什么时候看的?午餐后还是午觉后?
-Christopher: After love Boat. I made my list for my birthday.
看完“爱之船”之后看的,我生日礼物列好了。
-Chris: Yeah, what'd you put on there?
你都写了什么?
-Christopher: A basketball or an ant farm.
ant: 蚂蚁
篮球,或者“蚂蚁农场”。(“蚂蚁农场”为一种智趣游戏)
-Chris: He says he's been watching TV.
他说他一直在看电视。
-Mrs. Chu: Oh, little TV for history.
是啊,是看了些电视,都是历史片。
-Chris: Love Boat?
爱之船也是吗?
-Mrs. Chu: For history. Navy.
是啊,是关于海军历史的。
-Chris: That's not the Navy. I mean, he could watch television at home.
那可不是海军历史片,我的意思是,他可以在家看电视。
We're paying you $ 150 a month. If he's gonna be sitting around…watching TV all day, we're taking him out of here.
我们每月付150块给你,要是他就坐在这儿…一直看电视的话,我们就带他走。
-Mrs. Chu: Go pay more at other daycare if you don't like Navy TV. You late pay anyway. You complain. I complain.
complain: 抱怨
你要是不喜欢海军片的话,就多花钱去别家幼儿园好了,反正你总是晚付钱。你抱怨,我还抱怨呢。
-Chris: Can you at least put the dog upstairs in your room or something?
upstairs: 楼上的
那能不能把狗带到楼上去?关到你房间或什么地方?
-Mrs. Chu: Bye.
再见。
-Chris: I was waiting for Witter Resource head Jay Twistl…whose name sounded so delightful, like he'd give me a job and a hug?
delightful: 令人愉悦的
我在等Witter公司人事部主管Jay Twistle,他的名字听起来很可爱就好像他会给我份工作,外加一个拥抱。
I just had to show him I was good with numbers and good with people. Morning, Mr. Twistle.
而我所要做的,就是让他知道,我精通数字,而且懂得待人之道,早上好,Twistle先生。
-Twistle: Good morning.
早上好。
-Chris: Mr. Twistle, Chris Gardner.
Twistle先生,我是Chris Gardner。
-Twistle: Hi.
你好。
-Chris: I wanted to drop this off personally and make your acquaintance.
drop: 放下 acquaintance: 相识
我得在你进去之前亲自把这个交给您和您认识一下。
I thought I'd catch you on the way in. I'd love the opportunity to discuss…what may seem like weaknesses on my application.
weakness: 软弱 application: 申请
希望有机会能和您坐下聊聊我申请表上看起来比较薄弱的几点。
-Twistle: We'll start with this, and we'll call you if we wanna sit down.
好的,我们要先看下你的申请表,Chris 需要面试的话会通知你的。
-Chris: Yes, sir. You have a great day.
好的,先生,祝您愉快。
-Twistle: You too.
你也是。
-Chris: Hey, yeah, how you doing? This is Chris Gardner calling for Dr. Delsey. Yeah, I'm running a little late for a sales call.
嗨,你好,我是Chris Gardner 找Delsey.医生,我要晚一点才能来推销。
I was wondering if… Yeah, Osteo National. Right. We can still…? Half an hour? Yes. Beautiful. Beautiful. Thank you, thank you.
wonder: 猜想
能不能…对,Osteo公司,对,我们能不能…半小时后?太好了,没问题,谢谢。
Hey! Hey! Hey! This part of my life… Wait! …this part here… …it' called “Running.” Hey! Hey! Wait! Hey! Wait!
嘿!嘿!嘿!我人生的这部分,眼前的这部分叫做“追赶”。嘿!嘿!等一下!嘿!等一下!
That was my stolen machine. Unless she was with a guy who sold them too.
unless: 除非
那是我被偷的仪器,除非跟她在一起的那家伙也是做这行的。
Which was unlikely …because I was the only one selling them in the Bay Area.
unlikely: 不大可能发生的
不过可能性不大,因为旧金山海湾地区,销售此仪器的仅我一家。
I spent our entire life savings on these things. It was such a revolutionary machine. Can you feel it, baby?
entire: 全部的 saving: 存款 revolutionary: 革命的
我把所有的积蓄都押在这上面了,押在这个革命性的仪器上了。亲爱的,你感觉到了吗?
-Linda: Oh, yeah. You got me doing all the work.
当然了,你在叫我一个人忙活。
-Chris: What I didn't know is that doctors and hospitals…would consider them unnecessary luxuries.
unnecessary: 不必要的 luxury: 奢侈
但是我没想到,医院的医生们会认为它是没用的奢侈品。
I even asked the landlord to take a picture. So if I lost one, it was like losing a month' groceries.
landlord: 房东 grocery: (美国俚语)必需之物
我甚至请房东给我们照了相,所以丢了一台仪器就意味着损失了一个月的伙食。
Hey, hey! Wait! Wait! Hey, get back here!
嘿!嘿!等一下,等一下!嘿!回来!
-Woman: Hey, man, l…
嘿,老兄,我…
-ManA: Who's he?
他是谁?
-ManB: He's that guy…
就是那个…
-Christopher: Did you forget?
你忘了吗?
-Chris: Forget what?
忘了什么?
-Christopher: You're not supposed to have any of those.
你不该带这东西回家的。
-Chris: Yeah, I know.
是的,我知道。
-Christopher: You have two now.
但你现在却有2台。
-Chris: Hey.
嘿。
-Christopher: Hey, Mom.
嘿,妈。
-Chris: One, two, three!
1,2,3。
-Christopher: That's a basketball!
是个篮球!
-Chris: Hey, hey. What do you mean? You don't know that that's a basketball.
嗨,什么意思?谁说这是篮球啊?
This could be an ant farm. This could be a microscope or anything.
microscope: 显微镜
有可能是“蚂蚁农场”也可能是显微镜或别的什么。
-Christopher: No, it's not.
不,不是的。
-Chris: There, there. All right, come on. Open him up. Open him up. That paper's a little heavy, huh?
拿不到了吧。好吧,快打开吧。纸有点厚,是吗?
-Christopher: Yeah, but I got it.
是的,但是我能打开。
-Chris: You should've seen me out there today. Somebody stole a scanner. I had to run the old girl down…
scanner: 扫描机
你今天真应该在场的,有个女孩偷了我的扫描仪,我就一直追她…
-Linda: Whatever.
随便吧。
-Chris: What?
什么?
-Linda: Whatever, Chris.
随便怎么着吧,Chris。
-Chris: What the hell you got attitude about? “Whatever” what?
attitude: 态度
你这是什么态度?随便什么?
-Linda: Every day's got some damn story.
每天都他妈的有逸闻。
-Chris: Hey, Roy. Roy! Can you beat your little rug when nobody's out here? There's dust and shit all over.
beat: 打 rug: 毯子 dust: 灰尘
嘿!Roy!Roy!能不能没人的时候再拍毯子?尘土飞扬的。
-Roy: I'm trying to keep a clean house.
我只是在打扫房间…
-Chris: Hey, wait a second. Look, Linda, relax. We're gonna come out of this. Everything is gonna be fine, all right?
come out of: 从…出来
嗨,等一下。听我说,Linda,放松,我们会渡过难关的,一切都会好起来的,好吗?
-Linda: You said that before, when I got pregnant. “It'll be fine.”
pregnant: 怀孕的
你以前就这么说过,我怀孕的时候,你就说:“一切都会好起来的”。
-Chris: So you don't trust me now?
这么说你不再相信我了?
-Linda: Whatever. I don't care.
随便,我不在乎。
-Twistle: Taxi!
出租!
-Chris: Mr. Twistle.
Twistle先生。
-Twistle: Yeah, hi.
是的。
-Chris: Hi. Chris Gardner.
你好,我是Chris Gardner。
-Twistle: Yeah, hi. Listen. What can I do for you?
你好,有什么事吗?
-Chris: I submitted an application for the intern program about a month ago…and I would just love to sit with you briefly…
submit: 递交 intern: 实习生 briefly: 简短的
我一个月前交了份实习申请表,我想找机会和您坐下来简单谈谈…
-Twistle: Listen, I'm going to Noe Valley, Chris. Take care of yourself.
听着,我要赶去诺亚谷,Chris你保重。
-Chris: Mr. Twistle. Actually, I'm on my way to Noe Valley also. How about we share a ride?
Twistle先生,我正好也要去诺亚谷,我搭个车怎么样?
-Twistle: All right, get in.
好吧,上车吧。
-Chris: All right. So when I was in the Navy, I worked for a doctor…who loved to play golf, hours every day…
好的,我在海军服役时为一个医生工作,他很喜欢高尔夫,每天都要花很多时间在那上面。
And I would actually perform medical procedures…when he'd leave me in the office.
actually: 实际上 perform: 执行 procedure: 手续
我还得替他处理医疗事务,当他不在的时候。
So I'm used to being in a position where I have to make decisions and… Mr. Twistle, listen. This is a very important…
position: 立场
我习惯于做出抉择,而且…Twistle先生,听我说,这很重要。
-Twistle: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. This thing's impossible.
对不起,对不起,这东西不可能拼出来的。
-Chris: I can do it.
我可以。
-Twistle: No, you can't. No one can. That's bullshit
bullshit: 胡说
你不行,没人可以的。不可能的。
-Chris: No, I'm pretty sure I can do it.
我确定我能行的。
-Twistle: No, you can't.
你不行。
-Chris: Let me see it. Give it here. Oh, yeah. Oh, wow, you really messed it up.
mess up: 混乱
让我看看,给我。哦,你真是拼的一团糟啊。
-Twistle: Sorry.
不好意思。
-Chris: It looks like it works around a swivel, so the center pieces never move. So if it's yellow in the center, that's the yellow side.
swivel: (使)旋转
看起来这些是围绕一个轴心转动,中间的这部分保持不动,所以说如果中间那片是黄色这面就应该是黄色的。
If it's red in the center, that's the red side.
如果中间那片是红色,那么这面就应该是红色的。
-Twistle: Okay.
好的。
-Chris: So… you can slow down.
slow down: 放慢速度
开慢点吧。
-Twistle: Listen, we can drive around all day. I don't believe you can do this.
我们可以就这么一直开下去,我就不信你能拼出来。
-Chris: Yeah, I can.
我可以的。
-Twistle: No, you can't.
不,你不成。
-Chris: Yes, I can.
我可以的。
-Twistle: No, you can't. I'm telling you, no one can.
不,你不成。不,你不行,没人可以的。
-Chris: See? That's all I ever do.
看到没?我就只能到这步了。
-Twistle: You almost have this side. Holy cow. You almost had that one.
holy: 圣人
那面快拼出来了。哦,你拼出来了。哦,那面也快拼出来了。
-Chris: I'm gonna get it.
我能全部拼出来的。
-Twistle: Look at that. You're almost there.
真厉害啊,快好了。
-Driver: 17.10.
17块1毛。
-Twistle: This is me. Good job. Goodbye.
我到了,拼得不错,再见。
-Chris: Yeah. I'll see you soon.
回头见。
-Driver: Where are you going, sir? Excuse me, sir. Where are you going, please?
先生,你要去哪里?对不起,先生?你要去哪里?
-Chris: Two… A couple of blocks. Just flip around.
block: 街区 flip: 转动
呃…2个…几个街区就到,调下头。