change: 改变,变化 shape: 形状,形态
我看到你的守护神还能改变形状呢。
Has it settled yet?
settle: 定居,解决
它定下来是什么了么?
-Lyra: Yeah. That's got to do with Dust, isn't it.
是的。那也是和尘埃有关的,不是么?
Why kids daemons can change shape but grown-ups' can't.
grown-up: 成人
为什么孩子的守护神就可以改变形状,而大人的就不行?
-Lord Asriel: Lyra, Dust is none of your business.
business: 商业,事情,商务
Lyra,尘埃和你没什么关系。
Now, You try and behave.
behave: 表现,举止端庄
现在,你要做个好孩子。
-Lyra: My uncle Asriel said He'd take me to the north, the next time he goes.
我叔叔Asrier说他下次去北面的时候,要带我一起去。
He swore it. Because he needs my help you see…
swear: 发誓
他说一定的,因为他会需要我的帮助……
-Roger: Ahh! What for?
啊!为什么?
-Lyra: Fighting probably. Or spying. He uses me as a spy sometimes.
fight: 战斗 probably: 可能,或许 spy: 间谍
可能会有战斗,或者是侦查。他有时候拿我当间谍用。
Like now for instance. I'm supposed to keep an eye on them Gobblers.
for instance: 例如 supposed: 料想,应该 keep an eye on: 关注,注意
就拿现在来说吧,我被安排提防那些Gobblers。
They took them Gypsian kids out Boundry Ray.
他们在把吉普赛小孩带出Boundry Ray。
Billy Costa told me.
Billy Costa跟我说的。
-Roger: I heard them Gobblers take them down to hell.
hell: 地狱
我听说那些Gobblers把他们带到地狱去了。
-Lyra: Of course they don't!
他们当然不会!
You're afraid of them, aren't you?
afraid: 害怕的,胆怯的
你害怕他们了,不是么?
-Roger: No I ain't.
不,我才没呢。
But the adults are. Kids keep disappearing.
adult: 成年人 disappear: 失踪,丢失
大人们害怕,老是有小孩失踪。
They go after the poor kids, you see?
他们爱找穷孩子,你知道吗?
The orphans… And the servant kids as well.
orphan: 孤儿 servant: 仆人,佣人
那些孤儿……还有仆人的孩子。
-Lyra: Roger, I promise: If you were taken by the Gobblers,
promise: 保证,承诺
Roger,我保证:如果你被Gobblers捉去了。
I'd come and rescue you.
rescue: 营救
我会去把你救出来的。
You'd come get me to wouldn't you?
换作你,也会来的,不是么?
-Roger: Of course. It's everybody who would come looking for you, if you were in trouble.
当然,如果你有了麻烦,大家都会去找你的。
You're a lady.
lady: 女士,夫人,淑女
你是淑女嘛。
-Lyra: Says Who!?
谁说的?!
-Roger: Cook. He says that's why you are the only one who lives here.
Cook,他说那就是为什么你自己一个人住在这儿。
To make you a lady.
让你成为淑女。
-Lyra: Nobody can make me a lady! Not the master.
master: 主人,小学校长
没人能强迫我成为什么淑女!校长不能……
And the scholars and forces combined. Right!?
scholar: 学者 force: 武力,力量 combined: 使联合
老师不能,加起来还是不能,明白不!?
Take it back, or we ain't best mates no more.
mate: 伙伴,同伴
收回你说的话,否则我们就再也不是朋友了。
-Roger: Alright, You ain't a lady!
好吧,你不是淑女!
-woman: Lyra! Lyra Belaqua get down off them roofs!
roof: 房顶,屋顶
Lyra!Lyra Belaqua你快给我从房顶上下来!
The Master wants you at High Table.
high table: 贵宾桌
院长让你在贵宾桌旁见他。
The state of your knees. And your hair.
看看你膝盖磨的那样,还有你这头发。
-Lyra: Well… It's not surprising.
surprise: 惊奇,好奇
嗯……没什么大不了的。
Roger and me has been hunting Gobblers.
hunt: 打猎,狩猎
我和Roger捉Gobblers去了。
It's dirty work.
dirty: 脏的,恶劣的
这活可辛苦呢。
-Woman: Don't you make jokes about them Gobblers.
joke: 玩笑,笑话
别拿那些Gobblers开玩笑。
Ain't nothing to play about when children go missing.
孩子们还没找到的时候开这玩笑不好。
-Headmaster: Lyra, my dear, the tutor in Metaphysics tells me you missed your lesson again.
tutor: 导师,助教 metaphysics: 玄学 miss: 错过
我亲爱的Lyra,哲学老师说你又逃课了。
Now, I know you do not always understand our need to educate you, but sometimes you must do,
现在么,你可能还不明白我们为什么要教育你但有些时候你必须得听话。
What others think is best.
按我们为你设计的去做。
-Mrs. Coulter: But I disagree, Master.
disagree: 不同意,不赞成,反对
我不这么看,院长。
-Headmaster: Mrs. Coulter.
Coulter夫人。
- Mrs. Coulter: When I was a young woman i knew,
当我年轻的时候,我就知道,
That no one could truly ever understand me.
truly: 真正地
没有人能真正了解我,