参考译文
Tags: Nadia:I'm not sure about this civil lawsuit.I don't want a long trial.
纳蒂亚:这次民事诉讼我可不是很有把握。我不希望是一次漫长的审判。
Andre:Relax. This case will never go to trial.For disputes of this kind, neither party wants to fight it out in court, so we almost always reach a settlement.
安德烈:放松。这个案子不会到法庭审判阶段的。对于这类纠纷,任何一方都不想在法庭上争得头破血流,因此我们几乎总是达成和解。
Nadia:If we do go to court, the legal fees could skyrocket.I couldn't afford that.
纳蒂亚:如果我们到了法庭上,法律费用就会急剧增加。我可负担不起。
Andre:If we reach a settlement, you won't have to worry too much about that.
安德烈:如果我们达成和解,你就不必过于担心。
Nadia:All right, but what if they don't want to admit wrongdoing?
纳蒂亚:好的,但是,如果他们不想承认错误呢?
Andre:If we reach a settlement, they don't need to.They'll simply pay out.
安德烈:如果我们达成和解,他们就不需要那样做。他们会直接赔付。
Nadia:Even if they don't admit it, at least I'll be able to talk freely about it.
纳蒂亚:即使他们不承认这一点,至少我可以自由谈论。
Andre:Well, that might be a problem.Many settlements require confidentiality-from both parties.
安德烈:嗯,这可能是个问题。双方对许多协议都需要保密。
Nadia:You mean if I settle, I can't talk about it?
纳蒂亚:你的意思是如果我选择和解,我就不能讨论案情?
Andre:If there is a confidentiality clause, you'd be in breach of contract if you discussedthe settlement.
安德烈:如果有保密条款,如果你讨论的话就是违反条约。
Nadia:I didn't know that.You mean I can't talk about what they did to me without getting my day in court?
纳蒂亚:我不是很明白。你的意思是我不上法庭就不能谈论他们对我所做的吗?
Andre:That's the long and short of it.
安德烈:这就是长处和短板所在。
Nadia:I guess justice is blind–but only for the rich!
纳蒂亚:我猜正义是盲目的,但只对富人而言!
听力原文
Nadia: I’m not sure about this civil lawsuit. I don’t want a long trial.
Andre: Relax. This case will never go to trial. For disputes of this kind, neither party wants to fight it out in court, so we almost always reach a settlement.
Nadia: If we do go to court, the legal fees could skyrocket. I couldn’t afford that.
Andre: If we reach a settlement, you won’t have to worry too much about that.
Nadia: All right, but what if they don’t want to admit wrongdoing?
Andre: If we reach a settlement, they don’t need to. They’ll simply pay out.
Nadia: Even if they don’t admit it, at least I’ll be able to talk freely about it.
Andre: Well, that might be a problem. Many settlements require confidentiality – from both parties.
Nadia: You mean if I settle, I can’t talk about it?
Andre: If there is a confidentiality clause, you’d be in breach of contract if you discussed the settlement.
Nadia: I didn’t know that. You mean I can’t talk about what they did to me without getting my day in court?
Andre: That’s the long and short of it.
Nadia: I guess justice is blind – but only for the rich!