question: 质疑,问题 authority: 权威
不会质疑我们权威的一代人。
We owe it to the young. Do we not?
owe to: 归功于,欠
这好日子是我们欠年轻人的,不是么?
-Headmaster: I fear, our defiance will not go unpunished.
defiance: 挑战反抗 unpunished: 未受处罚的
恐怕,我们这次对抗要遭到报复了。
We failed her.
fail: 失败,不及格
我们还是失去她了。
- Old man: We protected her as long as we could.
我们已经尽力保护她了。
She's still a child. She can't possibly be a threat to them.
possibly: 可能 threat: 威胁
她还是个孩子,她对他们构不成什么威胁的。
-Headmaster: She is. She is meant to play a major part in what is to come.
major part: 重要部分
不,她是个威胁。她要在接下来发生的事中扮演一个重要角色。
- Old man: How do you know such things?
你怎么知道这些的?
-Headmaster: The Witches.
witch: 女巫
女巫们说的。
Could you stay by the door? Mrs. Longsdale, it is important to know if I was followed.
follow: 跟随,紧跟着,接着
Longsdale太太,您能在门口守一下么?我想知道自己有没有被跟踪。
- Mrs. Longsdale: Yes, Master.
是,院长大人。
-Headmaster: For you, Lyra.
这是给你的,Lyra。
-Lyra: What is this?
这是什么?
-Headmaster: An Alethiometer. Also known as a Golden Compass.
golden: 金黄色的,黄金的 compass: 罗盘,指南针
真理探测仪,也被称为黄金罗盘。
It was given to the college by Lord Asriel, years ago.
college: 大学,学院
许多年前,Asrier勋爵把这个交给了校方。
And now, I'm giving it to you. I feel, you are meant to have it.
现在,我把它交给你,我觉得,你应该拥有它。
-Lyra: What's it for?
这是干什么用的?
-Headmaster: It tells the truth.
truth: 真相
用来揭示真相。
We've always tried to acquaint you with the truth, but the secrets of the heart and things,
acquaint: 使熟悉 secret: 秘密
1
Elude scholars and authorities.
elude: 逃避
学者和权贵是无法了解的。
This lets you glimpse things as they are. Keep the alethiometer to yourself.
glimpse: 一瞥
这东西能让你窥视到本质。自己收好这个真理探测仪。
It is of the utmost importance, that Mrs. Coulter does not know that you have it, do you understand me?
utmost: 极度的 importance: 重要性 understand: 理解,明白
切记切记,不要让Coulter夫人知道你有这个,明白我的意思么?
Of the utmost importance.
一定要记住了。
- Mrs. Coulter: Lyra! Are you ready?
Lyra!你准备好了吗?
-Lyra: There's someone missing.
有人失踪了。
I want to say goodbye to Roger.
我想和Roger告个别。
- Mrs. Coulter: Roger? Who's Roger?
Roger?谁是Roger?
-Lyra: My friend. He works in the kitchen.
kitchen: 厨房
我朋友,他在厨房工作。
-Mrs. Coulter: We must go. The ferry's about to take off.
take off: 起飞
我们得走了,飞艇就要起飞了。
Why don't you write him a letter?
你为什么不到时候给他写信呢?
You can tell him all about the journey and even leave a photograph.
journey: 旅行 photograph: 照片
你可以告诉他关于旅行的事,甚至还可以邮个照片来。
What do you think?
你觉得怎么样?
-Lyra: Yeah, I suppose.
suppose: 假设,猜想
好吧,希望如此。
Mrs. Coulter, what's that?
Coulter夫人,那是什么?
- Mrs. Coulter: That is the Magistirial seat, Lyra.
那是教会所在地,Lyra。
-Lyra: What's the Magistirium for?
教会是干什么的?
- Mrs. Coulter: The Magistirium is what people need.
人们需要教会,
It keeps things working. By telling people what to do.
教会告诉人们该如何去做。保一切有序进行。
-Lyra: But you told the Master you did whatever you pleased.
但你和院长说你都是率性而为的。
-Mrs. Coulter: That's Right. Clever girl.
clever: 聪明的
是啊,你可真聪明。
Well… Some people know what's good for them, and some people don't.
那个么……有些人自己知道什么是好的,有些人不知道。
Besides, they don't people what to do in a mean, petty way.
besides: 除此之外 petty: 小气的,琐碎的
除此之外,他们对人们的教导也不是说教性的。
They tell them what to do in a kindly way. Keeps them out of danger.
danger: 危险
他们总是很和蔼地告诉人们该怎么做好,让大家远离危险。
Sugar?
要糖么?
-Lyra: Look Pan, it's got lots of pictures in the end.
picture: 图片,照片
看啊,Pan,这上面有很多图案呢。
-Pan: What do they mean?
它们都是什么意思?
-Lyra: Don't know.
不知道。
The needle keeps stopping at the same symbols.
stop: 停止,停留 symbol: 象征,符号
指针每次都停在相同的几个图案上。
Lady, lightning bolt and a baby.
lightning bolt: 闪电球 lightning: 快速的,闪电的 bolt: 闪电
女人、闪电还有一个婴儿。