傻笑着和Andy握手。
-Heywood: My ass! Shook his hand.
my ass: 去你的
老天!和他握手。
-Brooks: I tell you, I near soiled myself!
soil: 玷污
我告诉你们,我感到……
All he needed was a suit and tie and a jiggly hula gal on his desk…
tie: 领带 jiggly: [美国俚语]勾起情欲的 hula:【草裙舞】 gal: [口语] =girl
他若穿上那套衣服
he'd have been “Mr. Dufresne,” if you please.
他就会变成Dufresne先生的了。
-Red: Making a few friends?
又交上新朋友了?
-Andy: I wouldn't say “friends.”
我不认为是朋友,
I'm a convicted murderer who provides sound financial planning.
convicted: 已被判刑的 financial: 财政的
我是一个能提供准确财政计划的谋杀犯。
It's a wonderful pet to have.
pet: 宠物
只是某人不错的仆人。
-Red: Got you out of the laundry, though.
laundry: 洗衣房
至少可以令你离开洗衣房。
-Andy: It might do more than that. How about expanding the library.
expand: 扩充
可能不是那么简单的,我打算扩大图书馆,
Get some new books.
找点新书。
-Man: If you ask for something, ask for a pool table.
pool table: 桌球台
还是找张台球桌吧。
-Heywood: How do you expect to do that?
你打算怎么做,
I mean… get new books in here, “Mr. Dufresne, if you please.”
我是说,怎么得到新书,向谁请求。
-Andy: I'll ask the warden for funds.
warden: 典狱长 fund: 资助
我会向典狱长要钱。
-Brooks: Six wardens have been through here in my tenure,
tenure: 占有期
噢,孩子,孩子,我经历了六个典狱长,
and I've learned… one immutable, universal truth:
immutable: 不变的
懂得了一条,一个事实,宇宙真理:
Not one born whose asshole… wouldn't pucker up tighter than a snare drum when you ask for funds.
asshole:傻瓜 pucker up: 缩拢 tight: 紧的,牢固的 snare: 陷阱
那个人还没有生出来,你向他们提出定遭拒绝的。
-Norton: The budget's stretched thin as it is.
stretch: 过度利用 budget: 预算
预算不够用。
-Andy: I see. Maybe I could write the state senate and request funds from them.
senate: 议院
我知道。或许我写信向参议员提出。
-Norton: They have only three ways to spend the taxpayers' money for prisons:
taxpayer: 纳税人
只有三种情况能动纳税人的钱:
More walls, more bars, more guards.
多建围墙、多建牢房和增加监狱。
-Andy: I'd like to try, with permission. A letter a week.
若你批准,我想尝试一下,每周一封信。
They can't ignore me forever.
ignore: 忽视
他们不能永不理会。
-Norton: Sure can. But you write your letters if it makes you happy.
当然能够。如果你写着高兴那就写吧。
I'll even mail them for you. How's that?
我来替你寄出,怎样?
-Red: “So Andy started writing a letter a week… just like he said. And like Norton said…”
“就这样,Andy开始每周写一封信,就像他说得那样。但如Norton所说”
“… Andy got no answers. The following April, he did tax returns for half the guards at Shaw shank.”
“一直都无回覆。过了四月,Andy已帮半数狱警们报税。”
“Year after that, he did them all… including the warden's. ”
“后来,全都找他帮忙了,连典狱长纳税务都由他处理。”
“Year after that, they rescheduled the intramural season…”
reschedule: 重新排定…日程 intramural: 单位内部的
“后来,他们安排,”
“… to coincide with tax season. The guards on the opposing teams all remembered to bring their W-2s.”
coincide: 符合 opposing tea : 比赛双方
“球队在税季中比赛。所有的球队都带着报税表。”
-Andy: issued you a gun, but you paid for it.
Issue: 配给
所以Moresby监狱……配给你一支枪,但要你自己付钱。
-Man: Right. The holster too.
holster:手枪皮套
对,连手枪皮套也是。
-Andy: That's tax-deductible. You can write that off.
tax-deductible: 可免税的
那可以减免税款,你可把它记下来。
-Red: Yes, sir! Andy was a regular cottage industry.
cottage industry: 家庭作坊 cottage: 家庭式的
是的!Andy就像一个正常的会计师。
yle=� a-i�� �� eight:normal'>章,回,篇 verse: 诗节
约瑟福音第八章第十二节。
-Norton: I hear you're good with numbers. How nice. Man should have a skill.
我听说你精通数学,不错,总得有一技之长。
-Hadley: Explain this.
这个你怎么解释。