以此来获得一些报酬。
But you didn't know that, did you?
这些事你都不知道,是吧?
And when Mrs. Coulter got a hold of you, well…
当Coulter夫人控制住你的时候,嗯……
We suspected she had something to do with the Gobblers.
suspect: 怀疑猜想
我们就怀疑她和Gobblers组织有某种关系,
-Mama Costa: And she did. She and them Gobblers took my little boy, Billy.
她确实有,她和那些Gobblers捉走了我的小孩,Billy。
-Lord Faa: We know your tale up until the Costas found you.
tale: 故事
我们只知道Costa一家找到你之后发生的事,
Is there anything else you can tell us?
你还有别的什么事可以告诉我们么?
Is there anything you may have forgot?
forget: 忘记
有没有什么事你可能忘记了?
-Pan: Don't show it to them.
别给他们看。
-Lyra: The Master of Jordan gave me this.
master: 校长,院长
Jordan学院的院长给了我这个。
-Fader Coram: I thought they was all take by the Magisterium.
我原以为它们都被教会收走了呢。
It's an alethiometer. It's a truth measurer.
measurer: 测量仪
这是真理探测仪,探求真相的工具。
A Golden compass. It enables you to see what others wish to hide.
enable: 使能够 hide: 隐藏
又叫做黄金罗盘,它能使你知道其他人想要掩饰的东西。
You've got three handles that you can control.
handle: 按钮
你可以控制这三个旋钮。
By pointing at three symbols,
point: 指向 symbol: 象征,符号
通过指向三个图案。
You can ask any sort of question you can imagine.
imagine: 想象,设想
你可以问你所能想象出来的任何问题。
Once you've got your question framed,
frame: 设计
当你的问题设定好了之后,
This blue needle points to more symbols that give you the answer.
needle: 指针 answer: 答案,回答
这根蓝色的指针会指向更多的图案,从而给出问题的答案。
-Lord Faa: Could it be used to find the missing children?
这能用来寻找丢失的孩子么?
-Fader Coram: Not by me. The art was Jalousi-guarded.
guard: 守卫
我不行,这是有守护结界的。
-Lyra: Can I try?
我能试试么?
-Lord Faa: Alright.
好吧。
-Pan: What are you doing, Lyra?
你在干什么,Lyra?
You don't know how to read it.
你不知道该怎么理解的。
-Lyra: Well, the serpent is cunning, like the Gobblers.
serpent: 毒蛇大蛇 cunning: 狡猾的
那个,蛇是善于骗人的,就像Gobblers一样。
And the pot could mean a recipe or a plan…
recipe: 菜谱秘诀 plan: 计划
这个锅可能表示食谱或者某种计划……
The baby. That means kids.
婴儿么,表示孩子。
-Fader Coram: One thing I do know, Lyra: You mustn't grasp at the answer.
grasp: 抓住,理解,领会
我知道一条,Lyra: 你不能强求答案。
Hold the question in your mind and lightly, like it was something alive.
lightly: 轻轻地,轻松地
在自己头脑中默默想着问题,想象着问题的场景。
-Lyra: It's an hourglass.
hourglass: 沙漏
有个沙漏。
But it came around to it on the second time.
第二次指针又回来了。
The first time it only stopped there a moment.
第一次它只停留了一小会儿。
On top of the hourglass, it's a skull.
skull: 头骨盖
沙漏上面,是一个骷髅。
-Miss: Thank you. Finish your letters now.
finish: 完成,结束
谢谢孩子们,现在把信交上来。
Billy Costa, why didn't you write anything?
Billy Costa,你怎么什么都没写呢?
Your mother must be missing you terribly.
miss: 想念 terribly: 非常地,极度地
你妈妈一定很想你。
-Billy: I don't know what to put in the letter, Miss.
小姐,我不知道这封信里该写些什么。
They haven't told us what we're here for.
他们没告诉我们到这儿来是要干什么。
-Miss: You're here to help us.
你们到这儿来是为了帮助我们。
And just as soon as you've helped us, we'll send you back home.
一旦你们帮完了,我们就会尽快送你们回家。
That's what you should write.
这就是你要写的。
Or don't they teach Gypsian children to write?
teach: 教,教育
他们不教吉普赛小孩写字么?
-Billy: They teach us to write the truth, Miss.
他们教我们要书写事实真相,小姐。
-Roger: Billy, just write the letter.
Billy,写吧。
-Miss: Well, as I'll be posting these straight away,
post: 公布 straight:直接的
嗯,我就直说了吧。
I'm afraid your parents will be disappointed.
disappointed: 失望的
恐怕你的父母要失望了。
-Fra Pavel: I confess, I am puzzled by your interest in the Belaqua-girl.
confess: 承认 puzzled: 困惑的 interest: 兴趣
我承认,我不明白你为什么对那个叫Belaqua的女孩那么感兴趣。
-Mrs. Coulter: For one thing, she is in possession of the alethiometer.
possession: 持有拥有
就因为,她拥有真理探测仪。
-Fra Pavel: How? Oh yes, the Master.
怎么会?哦,对了,院长。
-Fra Pavel: Can she read it?
她能看懂么?
- Mrs. Coulter: Of course not.
当然不能。
-Fra Pavel: Are you familiar with the prophecies of the witches?
familiar: 熟悉 prophecy: 预言 witch: 女巫
你熟悉女巫们的预言吗?
- Mrs. Coulter: You think she is that child?
你觉得她就是那个孩子?