print: 发行,出版 copy: 复制品
而且不再需要离开船了。我们会复制上百万的副本,
so that people all over the world can hear your wonderful music, Nineteen, Mr. Nineteen?
全世界的人们都能听到你美妙的旋律,1900,1900先生。
-1900: I won't let my music go anywhere without me
我不会让我的音乐离我而去。
-Record Label B: No! Don't touch
不,别碰。
-Record Label A: What are you doing? You can't do that. We have a contract. You can't go back now.
contract: 合同 go back: 退回去【这里指回到最初状态,反悔了】
你在干什么?你不能这样做,我们有合约在先,不许反悔。
-1900: I always go back.
我总反悔。
Miss. I'd be pleased if… Miss. I'd be thrilled if you accept this small token.
pleased: 高兴的 thrilled: 激动的 token: 纪念品
小姐,我将愉快不已,如果尊敬的小姐,我将兴奋不已如果你接受这个小礼物。
-Man: Miss Padoan, what are you doing here all alone? Counting the waves?
wave: 波浪
Padoan小姐,你一个人在这干什么?数浪?
-Padoan: The captain said we'd be passing the Tropic of Cancer soon
船长说我们即将穿过北回归线。
-Man: Great! At least we'll have something to look at. You ever notice how the sea changes colors? Ten times a day.
notice: 注意,通知
太棒了,我们至少有东西可以瞧瞧了。你注意过海是怎么变颜色的吗?一天变十次。
-Padoan: Even more. I could look at the sea all day long.
all day long: 全天,整天
甚至更多。我会花上一整天看海。
-Man: You know, farmers don't ever look at the sea. It scares them. At least that's what I heard.
scare: 惊吓
你知道的,农民从不去看海。我听说他们害怕。
-Padoan: That's not true. Once, my father told me he heard the ocean's voice
once: 一次,曾经 ocean: 海洋
那不是真的。我爸爸曾经告诉我他听到大海的声音。
-Man: Really? What did it say?
真的吗?谁说的?
-Padoan: I can't tell you. It's a secret And secrets should be kept
不能告诉你,这是个秘密,秘密应当要保密。
-Man: Gosh, it's really coming down now Let's get back inside.
天啊,我们进屋吧,雨下得太大了。
-1900: Excuse me. Excuse me. Excuse me. Please, miss, I have to talk to you. You're meeting your father, aren't you?
抱歉,借过,借过。对不起,小姐,我有话想对你说,你要去见你的父亲,对吗?
-Padoan: Yes. How did you know?
是啊。你怎么知道的?
-1900: I think I've met him. On this ship, quite a few years ago.
我觉得我见过他,就在这船上,几年之前。
-Padoan: I don't know if he took this same ship
我不知道他是不是乘了同一艘船。
-1900: I'm sure of it. He has a musette. I think we played together. I don't know if he'd remember, but say hello to him.
musette: 法国的小风笛
我确定。他有一支法国的小风笛,我们还一起演奏过。我不知道他是否还记得,请代我向他问声好。
-Padoan: I will. But how did you know who I was? It's very strange, no?
strange: 奇怪的
我会的,但你怎么会知道我是谁,很奇怪,不是吗?
-1900: It's a secret. And secrets should be kept. Although I think your father felt differently back then.
这是个秘密,秘密应当要保密。尽管我认为你父亲回去后会有不同想法。
Please accept this small musical token.
请接受这个音乐的小礼物。
-Padoan: I'm sorry, but I can't hear you
对不起,我听不到。
-1900: I want you to accept this small token.
我想要你接受这份小礼物。
-Padoan: I can't hear you.
我听不到你在说什么。
-1900: Good luck
祝你好运。
-Padoan: Thank you. Good luck to you too. Why don't you come and visit us some day?
visit: 拜访,访问
谢谢,也祝你好运。你为什么不来我们这儿?
We live on Mott Street. Number 27. My father has a fish shop
我们住在莫特街27号,我爸爸有开了家鱼店。
-1900: Maybe
可能会来吧。
-Sailor: Padoan, okay. Next. Next.
好的,Padoan。下一个,下一个。
-Max: ”He never mentioned her to me again. And I never asked. At least not for the next twelve crossings.
mention: 提及,说到
他再也没有提起她,我也没再问他,至少是后来的12年里。
Besides, he was happy just like always. His popularity was its peak.
besides: 此外 popularity: 名气 peak: 顶峰
此外,他快乐依旧,他的名气到达了顶峰。
Then, one evening in spring halfway between Genoa and New York right it the middle of the ocean.
然后,某个春天的晚上,在途经热那亚到纽约的路上,
In three days when we get to New York.“
到达纽约的三天后。
-1900: I'm getting off this ship. Cat got your tongue?
tongue: 舌头,语言 cat get one's tongue: 由于窘迫无以言对
我要离开这船。怎么不说话了?
-Max: No, I'm glad. But all of a sudden? My man… That's aces.
all of a sudden: 突然 aces: [口语]了不起的
不,我很高兴。怎么会这么突然?兄弟啊…你终于开窍了。
-1900: I've got to see something down there
我想要看些东西。
-Max: What?
看什么?
-1900: The ocean
大海。
-Max: You're pulling my leg. You've seen nothing but the ocean since the day you were born.
pull one's leg: 和…开玩笑
你开玩笑呢吧!自从你出生那天起,你就一直对着海着呢。
-1900: But from here. I want to see it from there. It's not the same thing at all.
只从船上看过啊,我想从陆地上看看海的样子。换个角度,和从船上看根本就是两码事。
-Max: Wait till we dock lean over the side, take a good look. It's the same thing.
dock:靠码头,入港 lean over: 倾身,弯下身子
那你就等我们靠岸的时候,好好看看吧!其实都一样。
-1900: No, it's not. From land, you can hear its voice. You don't hear that from a ship.
不,不一样的,在岸上你是可以听到大海的声音的,那是一种无法从船上听到的声音。
-Max: What do you mean its voice?
什么叫”大海的声音“啊?
-1900: Its voice. It's like a big scream telling you that life is immense.
scream: 尖叫 immense: 巨大的,广大的
大海的声音,就像…就像是一声震耳欲聋的惊叫,像对生命的广博的惊叹。
Once you've heard it, then you know what you have to do to go on living
一旦你聆听过这样的声音,你就会知道怎么样才有继续生活下去的动力和激情。
I could stay here forever. But the ocean would never tell me a thing.
虽然我可以永远待在船上,但这样大海是不会给我任何启示的。
But if I get off live on land for a couple of years then I'll be normal just like the others
a couple of: 几个 normal: 正常的
倘若我下船去陆地上感受几年,生活几年,我就会是正常的了,像其他人一样。
Then maybe one day I'll make it to the coast look up, see the ocean and hear it scream.
coast: 海岸,海滨
然后或许有一天我会到海岸边去仰望大海,瞧瞧它的样子,然后聆听大海的咆哮。
-Max: I don't know who's been telling you this bullshit or if you're just making it up. But you want to know what I think?
bullshit: 胡说 make up: 虚构,编造
我不知道这些乱七八糟的都是谁告诉你的,或者是你自己莫名其妙的想出来的,但是你想知道我的想法吗?
I think the real reason you want off this ship is the girl, It's always the girl.
我的想法就是真正让你有下船的冲动的原因是那个女孩,只有那个女孩是你想下船的原因。
But even if it's not the reason that suits me just fine. Because I've always wanted you to leave this ship
even if: 即使,虽然 suit sb. fine: 合心意
但就算不是这个原因的话我也无所谓,因为我一直都想让你离开这艘船。
and play for the people on land, and marry a nice woman and have children,
为陆地上的观众演奏,然后再娶个好妻子,成家立业,儿孙满堂,
and all those things in life which are not immense, but are worth the effort.
immense: 巨大的,广大的 effort: 努力,奋斗
我希望你能拥有的是那些生命中不那么”广博“的,但却是值得你为之奋斗的。
-1900: You'll come visit me won't you, Max? On land?
你会来看我吧,Max ,去陆地上我的家。
-Max: Of course. That way, you'll introduce me to the mother of your children. And invite me for Sunday dinner
introduce: 介绍 invite: 邀请 dinner: 主餐,晚餐
当然了。我去看你的时候,你要向我介绍你孩子的母亲,还要邀请我和你们一起共进星期日的晚餐。