dessert: 甜食 show around: 陪同
我会带些甜点外加一瓶酒,然后你就会对我说用不着这么客气。
and while you're showing me around your house shaped like a ship, your wife will be cooking a turkey.
shape: 使具有…形状 turkey: 火鸡
当你向我介绍带着我参观你那所建的似船一样的房子,你妻子在为大家烤火鸡。
And then we'll sit at the table and I'll tell her she's an excellent cook
excellent: 极好的,优秀的
然后我们都会坐在桌旁,我会夸赞她的厨艺。
and she'll say how you talk about me all the time. You know I'm going to give you my camel coat.
all the time: 一直 camel: 骆驼
她会对我说你总会对她提起有关于我的事。知道么,我打算把我的骆驼大衣送你了,
You'll cut a fine figure when you get down there.
cut a fine figure: 引人注目, 超群出众 figure: 身形
等你下船的时候你穿着它肯定特帅。
”How many people I have seen saying goodbye on the docks without giving a damn.
without giving a damn: 完全不在意,不关心
我见过无数次人们在码头上互相道别之后却立即转身离去,神色漠然。
But when I said goodbye to Nineteen Hundred it was a real blow.
blow: 打击
但是当我与1900到了说再见的时候,道别却成了最伤感的事情。
We laughed and kept saying “See you soon”。 But inside, we both knew we'd never see each other again.“
虽然我们互相笑着说”回见“,但是我们都心知肚明,分离即永别。
-Man A: Goodbye, Nineteen Hundred! Take care.
take care: 当心,注意
再见了,1900,多保重!
-Man B: Good luck Have a good time
祝你好运,好好玩!
-Man C: Take care Nineteen Hundred, take care
保重,1900 ,千万保重。
-Man D: Write us a letter sometimes
时不时地给我们写信啊!
-Man E: Give my regards to Broadway.
give one's regards to: 向… 问候
代我向百老汇问好啊!
-Man A: What'd he do, step in shit?
他怎么了,踩着屎了不成?
-Man B: Maybe he just forgot something
说不定他忘拿什么东西了吧?
-Man C: Maybe he's forgotten why he's getting off
也有可能忘了为何下船?
-Max: What do you want? ”He was strange for a long time after that. He wouldn't talk to anyone.
你想怎么样?从那以后很长一段时间,他都怪怪的,不跟任何人讲话,
He preferred keeping to himself for days and days.
prefer: 较喜欢,宁可
一天一天沉默寡言。
He seemed taken by very personal matters. Then one day while I was sitting at the bar.
matter: 事件,物质,原因
他似乎沉浸在了某件心事中。然后有一天,当我坐在酒吧里的时候。
-1900: Thanks for the coat, Max. Fit like a glove.
glove: 手套
谢谢你的大衣了,Max,很合身。
-Max: It was a real shame.
shame: 羞愧,遗憾的事
-1900: I'm much better now I'm done with all that. Just like old times.
上次太可惜了,现在感觉好多了,我不再想着下船的事了。仿若时光倒流啊。
-Max: I left the Virginian on August 21st, 1933 with my leave papers and back pay everything in order
back pay: 欠付工资 in order: 整齐,秩序井然
1933年8月21日,我离开了维珍尼亚号。我拿着我的离开文件和被拖欠薪水就这么离开了。
I knew that sooner or later. I'd have been through with the ocean, so that's what I did.
sooner or later: 迟早,早晚
我知道自己迟早会结束我的海上生活的,所以我决定开始我的陆上生活。
I heard no more about Nineteen Hundred or the Virginian. Not that I ever forgot them.
我再也没有听说过任何有关于1900或维珍尼亚号的消息,但我从未忘却他们。
On the contrary, during the war I'd always ask myself who knows what Nineteen Hundred would do if he were here?
on the contrary: 正相反
反而战争期间的时候我总会问自己,谁知道如果1900在的话,他会怎么做呢?
Who knows what he'd say? Fuck war, he'd say. But said by me it wasn't the same thing
说些什么?也许他会说“去他妈的战争”吧,但这话从一我这说出口就变味了。
A lot of time's gone by, you know. who's to say he really didn't leave.
go by: (时间)过去
时过境迁了,懂吗?谁敢说他真的从没下过船呢。
Maybe he actually went to the fish shop and asked for that woman. Maybe.
actually: 实际上
说不定他真的去过那家卖鱼的店里问候过那个女人呢,说不定吧。
-1900: What's the matter? You lose your sea legs? Where the hell did you find that record?
the hell: 究竟,到底 record: 记录,唱片
你怎么了?晕船吗?你到底在哪找到那张唱片的?
-Max: What have you been up to all these years?
be up to: 胜任
这些年你都做什么了?
-1900: Making music
创造音乐。
-Max: Even during the war?
甚至战争时期也在做吗?
-1900: Even when no one was dancing anymore. Even when the bombs were falling.
bomb: 炸弹
即使再也没人跳舞的时候,即使炸弹四处飞的时候
And I kept playing till the ship got here
我一直都在演奏,没有停歇,直到船驶到了这里。
-Max: Call this a ship? It's more like a mountain of dynamite about to explode. A bit dangerous, don't you think?
dynamite: 炸药 explode: 爆炸,爆发
你还叫它船啊!这东西比起船更像是个装满炸药即将爆炸的山,你不觉得有点危险吗?
-1900: And you, Max? Where's your trumpet?
trumpet: 小号
你呢,Max?你的小号呢?
-Max: I gave it up as well, as while back. But, you know, now I'm in the mood for starting again.
give up: 放弃 as well: 也,又 mood: 心情,情绪
我很久以前就不吹小号了,但是,你知道,现在我又想重新开始吹了。
I'm busting with new ideas. Let's start a duo. You and me. Or our own band. The Danny Boodman.
bust with: 【完全充满了】 duo: 二重奏 band: 乐队
现在我脑袋里全是新点子,咱们一起组个二重奏吧!你和我,或者组个我们自己的乐队,乐队名就叫Danny Boodman。
T.D. Lemon Nineteen Hundred Big Band. It gets the blood going. We'd be a smash.
smash: [口语] 大成功;轰动的演出
T.D?Lemon 1900 大乐队怎么样?这名字让人热血沸腾吧!我们肯定会特别火。
Come on, Nineteen Hundred. Come with me. Let's get off.
来吧,1900,和我一起,我们下船吧!
We'll watch the fireworks from the pier and then we'll start from scratch. Sometimes that's the way you have to do it.
firework: 焰火 pier: 码头 scratch:[牌戏]零分
我们可以在码头那看烟花,然后我们从零开始,有时候从零开始是必要的。
You go right back to the beginning. You're never really done for as long as you've got a good story and someone to tell it to.
done for: 丧失机会的;完蛋毁灭的 as long as: 只要
你得回到起点,这并不是结束。除非你有了一段可以拿出去讲给他人听的故事才是结束。
Remember? You told me that. Well, what a stack of stories you got now.
a stack of: 一堆,一摞
记得吗?那是你告诉我的。看吧,你现在的故事可真是都可以写成一本书了。
The world would be hanging on your every word, crazy for your music. Believe me.
hang on: 倾听;紧跟
全世界都会对你的每一个字洗耳恭听的,世界会为你的音乐而疯狂。相信我。
-1900: All that city. You just couldn't see an end to it
整座城市,你根本无法看到它的尽头。
The end… please? You please just show me where it ends? It was all very fine on that gangway.
gangway: (上下船的)跳板
尽头…拜托!你能告诉我哪里才是城市的尽头吗?在跳板上我还觉得自己很好,
And I was grand too in my overcoat.
grand: 豪华的,宏伟的 overcoat: 外套,大衣
一切都还好,穿着我的那件大衣。
I cut quite a figure. And I was getting off. Guaranteed. That's wasn't the problem. It wasn't what I saw that stopped me, Max
cut a fine figure: 超然出众,引人注目 guarantee: 保证,担保
我确实看起来很有型,然后我确实打算要下去,我发誓。那并不是我最终回身上船的原因,并不是我所看到的让我停下了脚步,Max。
It was what I didn't see. Understand? What I didn't see. In all that scrawling city there was everything except an end.
scrawl: 乱涂,涂鸦
让我停下脚步的是我所没有看到的,明白吗?我所看不到的城市里纵横交错的街道,除了尽头什么都有。
There was no end. What I did not see was where the whole thing came to an end. The end of the world.
come to an end: 结束,终止
那里没有尽头,我所看不到的是我下船之后的未来,我看不到世界的尽头。
You take a piano. Keys begin, the keys end. You know there are 88 of them, nobody can tell you any different
用钢琴打比方,钢琴键就是有始有终的。你也很清楚明了的知道钢琴一共有88个键,没有人能对此提出异议。
They are not infinite. You are infinite. And on those keys the music that you can make is infinite.
infinite: 无限的,无穷的
没有无限的因素在里面,你才是那个无限的因素的主导。在那些琴键上,你演奏出来的音乐才有万千变化。