”Andy Dufresne,爬过了那臭屎沟,然后干干净净的到另一边去了。“
”Andy Dufresne, headed for the Pacific.“
”Andy Dufresne,向太平洋进发。“
-Heywood: Hadley's got him by the throat, right? He says, ”I believe this boy's about to have himself an accident.“
throat: 喉咙
Hadley抓住他的头,对吗?他说,”我相信他将会发生意外“。
-Red: ”Those of us who knew him best talk about him often. I swear ,the stuff he pulled.“
”我们跟他熟的老是谈起Andy。我发誓,他总是带来话题。“
”My friends could use a couple of beers. And he got it!“
”我的朋友可以要两瓶啤酒“。他成功了。
”Sometimes it makes me sad, though Andy being gone.“
”有时那令我伤心,虽然Andy已经离开了。“
”I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged.“
remind: 提醒
”我不得不提醒自己有些鸟是不能关在笼子里的。“
”Their feathers are just too bright.“
feather: 羽毛
”它们的羽毛太光亮。“
”And when they fly away the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice.“
sin: 罪孽 rejoice: 欣喜
”当它们飞走的时候,你会觉得把它们关起来是种罪恶。“
”But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone.“
drab: 单调的
”但是,它们的离开让你生活的地方空荡荡的。“
”I guess I just miss my friend.“
”可能我只是想念我的朋友了。“
-Police H: Please sit down.
请坐。
Ellis Boyd Redding your files say you've served 40 years of a life sentence.
sentence: 【法律】刑罚
Red,你因终身监禁已被关了40年了,
You feel you've been rehabilitated?
rehabilitate: 改造(罪犯等)
你觉得你已改过了吗?
-Red: Rehabilitated? Well, now, let me see. I don't have any idea what that means.
改过?让我想想。我不明白那是什么意思。
-Police H : It means you're ready to rejoin society.
你有心理准备重新投入社会吗?
-Red: I know what you think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made-up word.
sonny: (口语)小兄弟 made-up: 虚构的
我知道你们是怎么想的,老弟。对我来说那只是个用来掩饰的词。
A politician's word so that young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie and have a job.
politician: 政客 fellas: 〈俚语〉家伙
政客用的词语,让你们年青人能穿西装打领带,有一份好工作。
What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did?
你倒底想知道些什么?我对自己所犯的罪感到后悔吗?
-Police H: Well, are you?
你有后悔吗?
-Red: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here or because you think I should.
regret: 后悔
没有一天我不感到后悔的。不是因为我在监狱里,或者你认为我该这样。
I look back on the way I was then a young stupid kid who committed that terrible crime.
look back: 回顾 commit: 犯罪
我回首过往,一个年青的,愚蠢的孩子犯了大罪。
I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him.
sense: 辨别力
我想和他谈谈,我想和他讲讲道理。