bullshit: 〈俚语〉废话
真的是一团糟,我白花了一年时间在这狗屎上面。
-Andy: It's probably not that bad.
也许没有你想的那么糟
-Tommy: I didn't get a thing right. It might as well have been in Chinese.
比我想像中的还要糟,就像在考中文
-Andy: Let's see how the score comes out.
score: 得分
看看你得了多少分?
-Tommy: I'll tell you how the goddamn score comes out.
goddamn: 该死的
我来告诉你吧。
Two points, right there! There's your goddamn score!
两分,那就是你该死的考试。
Goddamn cats crawling up trees, 5 times 5 is 25. Fuck this place! Fuck it!
什么猫爬上树,5乘以5是25,去死吧!他妈的!
-Tommy: I feel bad. I let him down.
let down: 使…失望
我感觉很差,我令他失望了。
-Red: That's crap, kid. He's proud of you. We're old friends,
不是这样,孩子,他以你为荣,我跟他是老朋友。
I know him as good as anybody.
as good as: 和…几乎一样(差不多)
我很清楚他的性格。
-Tommy: Smart fellow, ain't he?
聪明的伙伴,不是吗?
-Red: Smart as they come. He was a banker on the outside.
就像刚进来时一样聪明,他以前是个银行家
-Tommy: What's he in here for anyway?
anyway: 不管怎样
他为什么被抓进来?
-Red: Murder.
murder: 谋杀
谋杀。
-Tommy: The hell, you say.
你说什么?
-Red: You wouldn't think it to look at the guy.
人不可以貌相。
Caught his wife in bed with some golf pro. Greased them both.
golf pro: 高尔夫职业选手 greased: 〈俚语〉射杀
在床上捉到妻子和一个高尔夫选手,把他们两个一起解决了。
-Red: What?
怎么了?
-Tommy: About four years ago, I was in Thomaston on a two-to-three stretch, I stole a car.
大约四年前,我在汤玛斯狱服刑,我偷了一辆车。
It was a dumb-fuck thing to do. About six months left to go, I get a new cellmate in. Elmo Blatch.
dumb: 〈美国口语〉愚蠢的 cellmate: 同房囚房
这是很不应该的事。在出狱前六个月,我有了个新同房,Elmo Blatch。
Big, twitchy fucker. I Kind of roomie you pray you don't get. You know what I'm saying?
twitchy: 易怒的 fucker: 〈俚语〉混蛋 roomie:〈口语〉(=roommate)室友 pray: 祈祷
一个强壮、暴躁的混蛋,人见人憎的那种,明白我的意思吗?
Six-to-twelve, armed burglary. Said he pulled hundreds of jobs.
armed: 武装的 burglary: 盗窃行为 job: 犯罪行为(尤指偷盗)
刑期是六到十二年,持械抢劫,他说自己犯了不少案子。
Hard to believe, high-strung as he was. You cut a loud fart, he jumped three feet.
high-strung: 容易兴奋的 fart: 屁
难以相信,他很容易激动,你放个屁,他就暴跳如雷。
Talked all the time too. That's the other thing. He never shut up. Places he'd been in, jobs he'd pulled, women he fucked…
整天说个不停,从不闭嘴。他谈他去过的地方,他干过的案子,上过的女人……
Even people he killed. People who “gave him shit.” That's how he put it.
和他杀的人,那些让他不爽的人,他是这么说的。
So one night, like a joke, I say to him, “Elmo, who did you kill?” So he says:
有天晚上,我开玩笑的说,我问他,Elmo,你杀了谁?他说……
-Elmo: I got me this job one time, busing tables at a country club…
busing tables: 收拾餐桌
有次我在乡村俱乐部打工,
…so I could case all these big rich pricks that come in.
case: 〈俚语〉(尤指偷盗前)探查 pricks:〈俚语〉蠢货
看到来的人都非富则贵。
So I pick out this guy, go in one night, and do his place. He wakes up, and gives me shit. So I killed him.
pick out: 挑出
所以我选了一个家伙,有天晚上到他家里去,抢劫东西。他醒过来,令我很不爽,所以我杀了他。
Him and this tasty bitch he was with. And that's the best part. She's fucking this prick, see…
tasty:(尤指女性)十分性感的 bitch: 贱女人 fuck: 性交
他和他的情妇,那是最精彩的部分。她在和这个职业高尔夫球手做爱,
…this golf pro, but she's married to some other guy. Some hotshot banker. And he's the one they pinned it on.
hotshot:〈俚语〉大亨 pin on: 把责任推到某人身上
但她是个有夫之妇,她丈夫是个银行家,而他竟成了替罪羊。
-Wander: I have to say that's the most amazing story I ever heard. What amazes me most is you'd be taken in by it.
amazing: 令人惊奇的 take in: 欺骗
这是我听过的最震惊的故事,更让我吃惊的是,你竟然相信了它。
-Andy: Sir?
先生?
-Warden: It's obvious this fellow Williams is impressed with you.
obvious: 明显的 fellow: 朋友 impress: 影响 be impressed with: 为…所感动
很明显Williams很喜欢你。