52 MY OWN TRUF FAMILY
|
五十二 我自己的真正的家族
|
Ted Hughes
|
泰德·休斯
|
Once I crept in an oakwood — I was looking for a stag. |
有一次我悄悄进入橡树林——我寻找一头鹿。 |
I met an old woman there — all knobbly stick and rag. |
我遇见个老太婆——一身疙瘩的枯柴棒加破布。 |
She said: "I have your secret here inside; my litte btag." |
她说:"你的秘密在我的小口袋里,我全有数。" |
Then she began to cackle and I began to quake. |
于是,她开始咯咯笑,我开始发抖。 |
She opened up her little bag and I came twice awake — |
她打开她的小口袋,我一而再地意识到—— |
Surrounded by a staring tribe and me tied to a stake. |
一群人在围着我看,我在木桩上被捆牢。 |
They said: "We are the oak-trees and your own true family. |
他们说:"我们是橡树,是你真正的家族成员。 |
We are chopped down, we are torn up, you do not blink an eye. |
我们被砍倒,被撕裂,你连眼睛也不眨一下。 |
Unless you make a promise now — now you are going to die. |
你现在就将死去,除非你答应一个条件。 |
Whenever you see an oak-tree felled, swear now you will plant two. |
每见到一株橡树被砍倒,你得发誓栽两株。 |
Unless you swear the black oak bark will wrinkle over you And root you among the oaks where you were born but never grew." |
你若不发誓,黑色起皱的橡树皮会把你裹住,让你植根在橡林中,你出生在这儿却永远不发育。" |
This was my dream beneath the boughs, the dream that altered me. |
这是我在树枝下做的梦,这梦改变了我。 |
When I came out of the oakwood, back to human company, |
我走出橡树林,回到人间伙伴的居处, |
My walk was the walk of a human child, but my heart was a tree. |
我走路像人类的孩子,我的心却成了一株树。 |
|
屠 岸译 |