closed: 合着的
我妻子曾说过我是个很难理解的人,像本合着的书。
Complained about it all the time. She was beautiful. God, I loved her. I didn't know how to show it, that's all.
complain: 抱怨 all the time: 一直
她经常这样抱怨,她很漂亮。上帝,我爱她。只是我不知道如何表达我的感情。
I killed her, Red. I didn't pull the trigger, but I drove her away. That's why she died, because of me, the way I am.
trigger: (枪的)扳机 drive away: 赶走,驱散
我杀了她,Red。虽然不是我开的枪,但是我把她赶走的。她是因我而死的,因为我对她的态度。
-Red: That don't make you a murderer. Bad husband, maybe. Feel bad about it if you want, but you didn't pull the trigger.
murderer: 谋杀犯
那不能判你谋杀的,只能说是坏丈夫。你可以为此难过,但枪不是你开的。
-Andy: No, I didn't. Somebody else did. And I wound up in here.
wind up: 使卷入
不是我杀的,是别人干的,我在这里做了替死鬼。
Bad luck, I guess. It floats around. It's got to land on somebody. It was my turn, that's all.
guess: 〈美国口语〉认为 float: 散播 land on: 强迫…接受
运气不好,我想。霉运到处漂浮,总要有人承受的,刚巧轮到我罢了。
I was in the path of the tornado.
path: 路线 tornado: 飓风
我刚好碰上了它。
I just didn't expect the storm would last as long as it has. Think you'll ever get out of here?
expect: 期望 storm: 暴风雨 as long as: 和…一样长
我只是没有想到会这么久。想过你有一天能出去吗?
-Red: Me? Yeah. One day,
我?有。有一天。
when I got a long, white beard and two or three marbles rolling around upstairs.
beard: 胡须 marbles: 〈俚语〉(常做复数)理智 roll around: 流逝
到我头发花白,头昏眼花的时候。
-Andy: I tell you where I'd go. Zihuatanejo.
Zihuatanejo.: 【在墨西哥,太平洋中的一个小地方】「根据Andy后来的解释」
我告诉你,我会到哪里去。圣哈塔尼奥。
-Red: Say what?
什么?
-Andy: Zihuatanejo. It's in Mexico. A little place on the Pacific Ocean. You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
Pacific Ocean: 太平洋 Mexican: 墨西哥人
圣哈塔尼奥,在墨西哥。太平洋中的一个小地方。你知道墨西哥人怎么形容太平洋的?
They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life.
memory: 记忆 the rest of: …的其余部分
他们说那里是没有记忆的地方,那就是我想渡过余生的地方
A warm place with no memory. Open up a little hotel, right on the beach.
beach: 海滩
一个没有记忆的温暖地方,开间小旅馆,就在沙滩边上。
Buy some worthless old boat and fix it up new. Take my guests out charter fishing.
worthless: 无价值的 fix up: 〈口语〉修缮 charter: 包租的 fishing: 钓鱼
买艘不值钱的旧船回来,把它翻新,载着我的客人出海钓鱼。
-Red: Zihuatanejo.
圣哈塔尼奥。
-Andy: In a place like that, I could use a man that knows how to get things.
在那种地方,我需要个能找到东西的人。
-Red: I don't think I could make it on the outside. I been in here most of my life. I'm an institutional man now.
make it: 〈口语〉获得成功 institutional: 规格化的
我觉得外面的社会可能不适合我,我的大半生都在这里渡过,我已经是这里的一部分了。
Just like Brooks was.
就像Brooks那样。
-Andy: You underestimate yourself.
underestimate: 低估
你看轻了你自己。
-Red: I don't think so. In here I'm the guy who can get things for you, sure, but outside all you need is the Yellow Pages…
Yellow Pages: 〈美国英语〉黄页(电话号码簿的一部分,专载厂商、公司等电话用户的名称及号码,按行业划分排列,并附有分类广告)
我不这样看。在此我能供应物品给你,但是在外面你只需要电话簿黄页分类。
Hell, I wouldn't know where to begin. Pacific Ocean? Shit. Scare me to death, something that big.
hell: 地狱【表示咒骂】 scare: 惊吓
我不知道如何开始。太平洋?狗屁,那么大的地方会吓死我的。
-Andy: Not me. I didn't shoot my wife, and I didn't shoot her lover.
shoot: 射死 lover: 情夫
我不怕,我没开枪杀我妻子,我也没开枪杀她的情人。
Whatever mistakes I made, I've paid for them and then some.
mistake: 错误 pay for: 偿还
不论我犯了什么错,我都已补偿了。
That hotel, that boat. I don't think that's too much to ask.
一间旅馆和一条船,我要的并不太多。